What advice do I need before using Mercado Libre?

rob0001

Registered
Do the packages arrive regularly?
Is there ever a tax or duty applied? Do they go through customs?
Any advice on ordering?
Thanks for all your help.

Do the packages arrive regularly?
Is there ever a tax or duty applied? Do they go through customs?
Any advice on ordering?
Thanks for all your help.

You are overthinking it. If you have a DNI, just open an account.
mercadolibre.com.ar is a local company. So, no taxes, no customs etc.
Your money is mostly protected. If you do not receive your product, ML will reimburse you.
Most of the deliveries are done by ML own delivery service within a day.

You are overthinking it. If you have a DNI, just open an account.
mercadolibre.com.ar is a local company. So, no taxes, no customs etc.
Your money is mostly protected. If you do not receive your product, ML will reimburse you.
First, thanks for the information.
Second, my question stems from the fact that I have Mercado Libre here in Mexico, and since it sounds like you are sure no products go between countries, you've answered one of my questions. The other was who delivers it, and you are saying it's a ML driver, so that is great. Not overthinking at all, since now I understand I need to open an Argentine ML account...it's nothing like Amazon in that sense where my one account is usable worldwide.

Yea you will have to open a local Mercadolibre account. Once you do that ML will only show you Arg products/sellers. There are sellers on ML who import goods and then resell, but the whole tax/customs process is done on their end when they import it. Once they go to resell in ML it is treated like a local product (so you won’t have to pay any taxes/import duties).

Packages generally arrive regularly/on-time/in good condition. That is in CABA (City of Buenos Aires) though, it might be less reliable the further you get away from a major city.

As far as receiving packages it’s pretty similar to Amazon. The biggest challenge I ran into was the doorman being unwilling to receive packages/open the door for the delivery man. Given it’s the city, you can’t leave packages on the stoop, so we had to plan to be there for the delivery which was a pain. He was kind of an asshole in general though. I ended up having them sent to my office. Now we live in a different building and the security guard receives the packages no problem.

The only other advice I would give is if you have a problem, DEFINITELY use the official ML resolution process. Most sellers will send you a message just after purchase saying if you have a problem with the product to contact the seller directly and not involve Mercado Libre. This is 100% to protect them from their rating being lowered and does not benefit you in any way. The ML resolution process protects you and the seller. Also make sure all communication is through the apps internal messaging service. Don’t converse on WhatsApp/email. It makes providing evidence of seller wrongdoing easier and ML will be more helpful. Having said all that, don’t be paranoid. I buy on ML all the time and very rarely have issues. And ML has resolved the few issues I had with no problem. However, it’s good to be prepared for this nonsense just in case.

Some concerns with ML purchases. I am reluctant to use USA issued card. Now I use the Pago Facil Cash option or a Local Debit card . In my building one must advise the receptionist to Accept a Document/Delivery, they must show their DNI.
Some tenants objected encargado receiving Legal Notices, Carta Documentos, Divorce subpoena, Allowance legal summons, etc.

I use MercadoLibre more than ever over the last two years. I bought my water heater and refrigerator on ML several years ago. Prices are usually lower than at stores. Delivery is always on the day it's scheduled.

My most recent purchase was a pair of used NIKE sneakers. I'd been searching all year for a pair in my size, in good condition, and colors I preferred. I found a pair for $2,000 and the owner offered the option of meeting in Congreso area, so I saved by not paying for delivery. It was too good to be true. Unfortunately, she decided not to sell them at the last minute, but I didn't see her message. I went to the appointed meeting place and waited a half hour, then walked home. I would have paid double the price for them. I have two pairs of the same model that are worn out. I hadn't noticed that the refund was already deposited into my bank account. I've been completely satisfied using ML.

This map shows the areas of coverage in CF and GBA for this service (aka Mercado Envios FLEX):

Only sellers with a good reputation (yellow or green) can sign up to use this service.

FLEX is not available in my area (about 650 KM from CF), but many of my purchases arrive the next day, especially items which are already stocked in the ML warehouse (indicated by the word "full" in the publications). Those items (which may be combined in the "shopping cart" and often qualify for free delivery) are always made by OCASA. Deliveries by OCA, Via Cargo, Andriani, and Correo Argentina normally take four or five days to arrive at my door.

1663070890903.png

Last edited:
Back