What banks will change dollars into pesos without requiring you to have an account with them?

bobg

Registered
I prefer to use a bank. But if no bank will exchange dollars for pesos unless you have an account with them is there a non-bank exchange place near Austria and Las Heras?

Thanks

I prefer to use a bank. But if no bank will exchange dollars for pesos unless you have an account with them is there a non-bank exchange place near Austria and Las Heras?

Thanks
Actually, you may find multiple options for this. When I had just moved to BsAs, I used Banco Piano as it offered the best rate among the 4 options that I had in Centro. They do require you to carry your passport as a valid reason for your presence in Argentina and the need to exchange money.
It took me 3-16 minutes varied across multiple visits. In and around Florida/San Martin y Sarmiento/Av. Corrientes, you should be able to get your work done.

Maybe I am wrong of course but it seems less likely to me that I will get a bad bill at a bank. Also bank branches are so easy to find. Exchange places, in my experiences, not so much. Anyway ... yesterday I tried many bank branch offices as I walked down a stretch of Las Heras. Not a one would exchange cash for a non-client. So I wandered my way to an unofficial exchange place I have used several times in the past near the intersection of Ortiz y Cerviño (on Ortiz next to the Freddo).

Thanks for the several responses.

Bob

I believe only Banco de la Nacion changes dollars without an account with them. If you don't mind standing in long lines.
I can affirm from personal experience that Banco de la Nation will indeed exchange dollars without an account - and the line was long. Otherwise no problems, just show DNI or passport.

There are many places where you can change without any problems, why use banks and deal with all the hassle.

I second this.
Hell, half the people on this forum can do it for you for a better rate than you'll get anywhere.
At least I can.

I would only go into an Argentine bank of I had too. They are a major pain in the ass. A legitimate casa de cambio would be my choice. Before the blue dollar went away, I used western union. Never got a fake bill.

I lived there last year for 3 months and didn’t have a bank account but went to the Juan Justus branch of Banco Supervielle several times to cash dollars to pesos. No problem.....just bring your passport! No lines either! Not sure how close you are to there?

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I used a cambio near the intersection of Ortiz y Cerviño (on Ortiz next to the Freddo). The last time I was there I picked up their business card which says - address: Scalabrini Ortiz 3205; phone numbers: 4806-0094 / 4806-0504 / 4808-0049; horario: Lunes - Viernes de 9 a 17 hrs / Sabados de 10 a 13 hrs.

Back