What do you like here in BA?

iStar

Registered
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
246
Likes
57
ssr said:
Well, Buenos Aires never had much shine for me to begin with. And do you really find Buenos Aires anywhere near as diverse at Toronto? Any small city in the US (and, I assume, Canada) has a great deal more diversity than Buenos Aires.

I appreciate the response, though. I ought to, perhaps, wander around Palermo a bit more (I do live here) but part of the problem is that, with the exception of a few highlights, there's an awful lot that's carbon-copied in Palermo. The cafes, for the most part, could save money on printing costs by just sharing their menus. I've been to lots of bars and nightclubs (in Palermo and elsewhere) and very few stand out in my mind; the DJs, in particular, are just god-awful here and may as well all just be playing the same CD.

Now, I'm sure I'm missing some cool stuff out there. If anyone's got a great tip or two, please, do share.

Yes Canada has much much more diversity. The UN lists Canada as the most diverse country in the world.

I did say BA was diverse on a much smaller scale ;)

You are correct the music here played in the clubs is awful. That's why I go to Sao Paulo or Rio every other month for my fix.

There is a new club called HUMAN on Saturdays if you like clubbing in Palermo by the domestic airport.

Palermo Soho/Hollywood has that NYC meatpacking district feel of many years ago.
 

Napoleon

Registered
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
3,156
Likes
1,550
I like ice cream, bad haircuts, free WiFi, girls in tight jeans with perfect to simply massive butts, complaining about bad food, walking down a street I've never walked down before, meeting new people, giving directions, holding doors for old ladies, half-naked transvestite prostitutes along the side of the road in Los Bosques de Palermo as I take the bus back from Parque Norte, hanging out with college girls, taking pictures of strange stuff on the street, saying "mala onda" & "que feo", acting like a I know it all, admitting that I don't know it all, flirting with my female students, learning the history of the city, following fútbol, saying "Vamo' Lanú'!!", stepping on sidewalk tiles that DON'T squirt muddy crap water onto my other foot, reading a sign that says "La Ciudad Trabaja" right behind 5 city workers talking as 1 city worker actually does anything, collecting papelitos de putas, practicing mi castellano...

There are tons of things to enjoy in this town.
 

ssr

Registered
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
283
Likes
85
citygirl said:
Hi to a fellow NYer!

Polo is fantastic and the Argentine Open starts mid-November. Better to buy your tix in advance. Best polo in the world and the party after is great fun. There are 7 days of games.

Things I love about Arg: Travel if you can (Salta, Mendoza, Bariloche, etc). Running (or walking in my case:p) in the parks in Palermo. Small art galleries... ...An afternoon at the racetrack on a sunny day. Lunch along the river in San Isidro. Weekends in San Antonio de Areco...

Hey, citygirl, thanks for all the info. Polo has always seemed like a hobby that someone decided to call a sport to me, but then I've never actually seen any so I'm going to try to check out a match in November to see what I've been missing. I've traveled to a few places here in Argentina (and there is some pretty spectacular scenery in Argentina and the food tends to be better and the people cooler once you get outside of BA) and I will be doing some more traveling this summer, but I'm hoping to get some good tips about Buenos Aires (including Gran Buenos Aires) on this thread. Things that are, at most, a day-trip.

San Isidro and San Antonio de Areco sound cool and I may just do a couple of day-trips this weekend to check them out. And the racetrack you mentioned is the horse track by Kansas, right? That's certainly something I could check out someday. Actually never been to horse track.

Thanks again and if you find some pizza, bagels or deli sandwiches that are anything close to back home please let me know immediately.
 

ssr

Registered
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
283
Likes
85
iStar said:
Yes Canada has much much more diversity. The UN lists Canada as the most diverse country in the world.

I did say BA was diverse on a much smaller scale ;)

You are correct the music here played in the clubs is awful. That's why I go to Sao Paulo or Rio every other month for my fix.

There is a new club called HUMAN on Saturdays if you like clubbing in Palermo by the domestic airport.

Canada is a place I'd like to spend a lot more time in. But not in the winter. This (northern hemisphere) summer I'd like to check out Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. I've been very lazy about checking out places north of New York just because they're always there and so close. But when I lived in San Francisco a few years, I went up the entire coast and crossed over to Victoria and Vancouver. Very cool, Vancouver.

Now, Brazil is a place I love. Fantastic food, friendly, happy people, beaches, etc. I've been to Brazil a few times while I've been down here in South America and will certainly be going back as much as possible.

I'm going to Google HUMAN now. Thanks for the tip!
 

ssr

Registered
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
283
Likes
85
Napoleon said:
I like ice cream, bad haircuts, free WiFi, girls in tight jeans with perfect to simply massive butts, complaining about bad food, walking down a street I've never walked down before, meeting new people, giving directions, holding doors for old ladies, half-naked transvestite prostitutes along the side of the road in Los Bosques de Palermo as I take the bus back from Parque Norte, hanging out with college girls, taking pictures of strange stuff on the street, saying "mala onda" & "que feo", acting like a I know it all, admitting that I don't know it all, flirting with my female students, learning the history of the city, following fútbol, saying "Vamo' Lanú'!!", stepping on sidewalk tiles that DON'T squirt muddy crap water onto my other foot, reading a sign that says "La Ciudad Trabaja" right behind 5 city workers talking as 1 city worker actually does anything, collecting papelitos de putas, practicing mi castellano...

There are tons of things to enjoy in this town.

Napoleon, sounds you really dig the culture here. I have a few friends who do as well. People just click with certain places. I guess my biggest problem is that this is not a place I click with. None of the stuff that you wrote above (well, with the exception of ice cream and girls in tight jeans with perfect butts) thrills me in the least. I really find Porteño culture just sort of annoying. And while I've met plenty of cool Argentines from outside BA (my girlfriend included), it is rare that I meet a Porteño that seems reasonable.

But, again, I'm sure I'm missing something. And I'm going to Google Parque Norte right now because I have no idea what that is...
 

almagestos

Registered
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
46
Likes
3
ssr said:
Well, Buenos Aires never had much shine for me to begin with. And do you really find Buenos Aires anywhere near as diverse at Toronto? Any small city in the US (and, I assume, Canada) has a great deal more diversity than Buenos Aires.

I appreciate the response, though. I ought to, perhaps, wander around Palermo a bit more (I do live here) but part of the problem is that, with the exception of a few highlights, there's an awful lot that's carbon-copied in Palermo. The cafes, for the most part, could save money on printing costs by just sharing their menus. I've been to lots of bars and nightclubs (in Palermo and elsewhere) and very few stand out in my mind; the DJs, in particular, are just god-awful here and may as well all just be playing the same CD.

Now, I'm sure I'm missing some cool stuff out there. If anyone's got a great tip or two, please, do share.

Wow! :eek: I think you´re too negative... that´s why you don´t enjoy BA!

Besides you should understand that nightclubs and music is for argentinian people and their current music tastes, not for you and your american culture... so to enjoy this city you should try to be more argentinian and less american... and finding good argentinian friends to hung out with is the best way to enjoy this city, their bars, cafes, nightclubs, streets... :)
 

Matt84

Registered
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
1,478
Likes
682
The grown trees lining Libertador. The architecture, the openness while pedestrian. The people, laid back but not siesta laid back: The Amero-Mediterranean culture, le savoire-faire.

You know, that special thing in the air that you can't quiet define, but its best expressed in Aguinis' quote and book title: "El Atroz Encanto de ser Argentinos"

The oxymoron
 

citygirl

Registered
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
3,929
Likes
3,147
Polo - hardcore. Not hobby at all - dangerous, requires lots & lots of skill and it's actually really fun to watch. And again, this is the best of the best in the world. I won't bore you explaining the rules but it's the equivalent of an all-star game.

The racetrack is indeed next to Kansas and it's free. (There's a casino downstairs as well).
Areco is one of my favorite places - now there isn't much "to do" but I love to wander around, they have some great silver there, etc. The fiesta guacha is coming up as well - if you haven't been, that's a must-see. My friends have stayed here in Areco several times and loved it - http://www.lacinacina.com.ar/
San Isidro is fun - race track there as well, the fair on the weekends, restaurants all along the water.
Speaking of water, have you gone to Tigre and done a cruise? That's a great way to spend a day as well.
Done the ecological reserve in Puerto Madero?

Sadly, the pizza, bagels and deli sandwiches I can't help with, more to my chagrin.
 

jp

Registered
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
1,367
Likes
816
Street art, live music, asados with friends, sunshine, picnics in parks, antiques, eating at nice restaurants, going to good bars.

Its a nice enough city, but the people make is special.
 

Napoleon

Registered
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
3,156
Likes
1,550
I forgot to mention a couple of other things...

The FLOWERS:


The National Flower (found all over Buenos Aires)
n567077537_1156958_8735.jpg



The Rosedal in Palermo
n567077537_473540_8183.jpg




The SUNSETS:

The Back of the Waterworks building on Viamonte (b/n Riobamba & Ayacucho)
n567077537_1506568_4815.jpg

 
Top