What does retiring in Argentina cost?

CABJ

Registered
What would it cost to live about 6 months a year in BA if you want to live in a country, buy a home there and a small car (model 206,306) and living in BA with some travel, eating outside for about 3 times a week and playing a lot of golf and tennis
I was thinking about this:
Plane ticket 5000 x 2 = 10.000 peso
Cost of living = 150 x 180 = 27.000 peso
Car 6 x 600 peso = 3600 peso
Travel = 5000 peso
Home = 2000 peso x 12 = 24.000
Total: 70.000 to 80.000 peso
Would this be correct?

"CABJ" said:
What would it cost to live about 6 months a year in BA if you want to live in a country, buy a home there and a small car (model 206,306) and living in BA with some travel, eating outside for about 3 times a week and playing a lot of golf and tennis
I was thinking about this:
Plane ticket 5000 x 2 = 10.000 peso
Cost of living = 150 x 180 = 27.000 peso
Car 6 x 600 peso = 3600 peso
Travel = 5000 peso
Home = 2000 peso x 12 = 24.000
Total: 70.000 to 80.000 peso
Would this be correct?
I realize that your question referred to living in "a county" but some individuals may not know that means living outside of the city, probably in a "closed" neighborhood (where a car would certainly be necessary). If someone is going to retire and live here year round, they will focus on the annual
costs. As I live in the city, I will add the information that is available to me.
I will not include the optional costs of buying or using a car,
domestic travel, eating often in restaurants or playing golf and
tennis. The figures I cite are based on what I actually pay to live
here. The monthly expenses include HIGH apartment fees (600
pesos/month) and airfares I found on the American website last week.

Plane ticket: American Airlines: 3.600 pesos (one person RT)

Cost of buying and furnishing a decent 75 M2 apartment
in a nice area of the city (in very good condition, recently remodeled, or new): 400,000-600,000 pesosAt an exchange rate of 3:1 that equals $135,000 to $200,000 USD.

.................................................................................................................................

Annual costs:

Cost of living : Including general household supplies and
food bought for home consumption: 50 x 365 = 18.250 pesos

Car: Not required in the city

Travel : Depends on whether or not you have a DNI (50% less for domestic airfare).

Home: All utilities, TV, internet, taxes,

monthly apartment expenses: 12 x1200 = 14.000 pesos
Private health insurance: 12 x 650 = 7.800 pesos

Total: 40,050 pesosThe total is about $15.000USD annually. You can eat in a lot of restaurants and travel a bit on an additional $2,000 to $3,000USD

Thanks,
I assume that you calculate with single prices but in my example it´s based on 2 persons who buy a car and a home. I assume the cost of mainting a home in country are about similar to a nice appartment and if you live in the city you probally don´t need a car
I was refering to a home in country as not all people, especially people who retire, don´t all want to live in the city. If you like to live in a home and like to play sports like golfing and tennis, a country is probally a good choice

Yes, my calculations are for one person living in the city. If tennis, golf, and open spaces are a priority, the country life will certainly have more appeal, but that entails the need for greater income as you add auto expenses, the higher costs of buying and maintaining a house compared to an apartment, as well as the fees associated with playing a lot of tennis and golf.
For two people living in the city, double the amounts for health insurance and food/supplies and the total annual costs would be about $66,000 pesos or $22,000 USD. If you double the "optional expense allowance" of $3,000 USD the total will come to $28,000USD or $84,000 pesos per annum (at today's prices).

I refer to annual expenses, assuming most of those who want to "retire" here are not planning or able to spend six months of the year abroad. Anyone reading these posts should remember that we both assumed an outright home/apartment purchase and rent is not a factor in our living expense models.

steveinbsas thanks for your intelligent posts, you are right on again.

Health insurance for a retired person will be considerably over $650 pesos. Rates go up as you get older. Someone in their 40's or 50's, for example, will pay a lot more than someone in their 20's or 30's. At age 66 plans generally increase about 60% (some plans may increase at 70). It may, though, be impossible to get accepted by a major plan if you wait to age 66.

And definitly cheaper in most European countries as well. American countries are probally more expensive though

Back