What Is "chilean Seabass?"

It is merluza negra , usually you only find it frozen. Mero is what the Chileans call it,but I believe it is a different fish here. I could be wrong on that though. They have it in the large Chinese on Mendoza,frozen for sure. Coto sometimes has it too.
http://www.portalcom...r.cl/node/10239

You read the wikipedia entry incorrectly. According to Dan Perlman's SaltShaker Dictionary as well, mero is grouper.

Who is Dan Perlmans Give me a break.... jjajajajaj I was several years, in the Chilean Sea Bass trade in California by container quantities. You go sell Grouper in California as Chilean Sea Bass may be? jajajaj :D

The Latin name for Patagonian toothfish is Dissostichus eleginoides. It is sold under the trade names Chilean sea bass in the USA; Merluza negra in Argentina, Peru and Uruguay; Legine australe in France; Mero, in Japan and Bacalao de profundidad in Chile.

The name "Chilean sea bass" was invented by a fish wholesaler named Lee Lantz in 1977. He was looking for a name that would make it attractive to the American market. He considered "Pacific sea bass" and "South American sea bass" before settling on "Chilean sea bass".[sup][2][/sup][sup][3][/sup] In 1994, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) accepted "Chilean sea bass" as an "alternative market name" for Patagonian toothfish.[sup][2][/sup]

Merluza negra. If anyone finds it fresh let me know please.

Who is Dan Perlmans Give me a break.... jjajajajaj I was several years, in the Chilean Sea Bass trade in California by container quantities. You go sell Grouper in California as Chilean Sea Bass may be? jajajaj :D

The Latin name for Patagonian toothfish is Dissostichus eleginoides. It is sold under the trade names Chilean sea bass in the USA; Merluza negra in Argentina, Peru and Uruguay; Legine australe in France; Mero, in Japan and Bacalao de profundidad in Chile.
The name "Chilean sea bass" was invented by a fish wholesaler named Lee Lantz in 1977. He was looking for a name that would make it attractive to the American market. He considered "Pacific sea bass" and "South American sea bass" before settling on "Chilean sea bass".[sup][2][/sup][sup][3][/sup] In 1994, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) accepted "Chilean sea bass" as an "alternative market name" for Patagonian toothfish.[sup][2][/sup]

Dan Perlman, a chef and food scholar who writes the city's best restaurant blog at http://www.saltshaker.net, has also published a bilingual food & wine dictionary.

Back