What Is The Health/mosquito Situation In Buenos Aires?

polostar88

Registered
Especially as the warm season starts, I want to know this, not for myself, but for my mom who will probably come stay with me for a few months through January/February/March. I know last year there were "alerts," but what does this actually mean? Did any of you know people who got dengue or zika in Buenos Aires? What is the "feel" or situation on the ground? Is it a real problem or just a few scattered cases in the suburbs. Sometimes foreign press doesn't always cover the reality.

I'm planning to be there by the end of November but again, this is for my mom, and I'm much more careful about not putting her in any possible danger. If she comes we plan to stay in mostly Buenos Aires, and possibly travel to Punta del Este and/or Bariloche/etc.

Thanks!

Can anyone help with this question? I need to be better informed on this before I let my mom visit me for a longish time. I'd much appreciate it.

Serafina is right . Not too much to be concerned about in Bs As.

Having said that I wonder what the the strange spring weather of two good sunny days and then two cold and wet days will have on the amount of mosquitos we wwills ee in the summer

Thanks guys...I did hear there are a lot of mosquitoes tho if you live in Canitas or near a park. Of course I'm concerned to hear if anyone actually knows of people getting sick or if there's a crisis (maybe one they even cover up). I'm not concerned for myself, but for my mom ...I can't put her in any risk.

Thanks guys...I did hear there are a lot of mosquitoes tho if you live in Canitas or near a park. Of course I'm concerned to hear if anyone actually knows of people getting sick or if there's a crisis (maybe one they even cover up). I'm not concerned for myself, but for my mom ...I can't put her in any risk.

Mrs Glasgowjohn is from here . She has a load of family - no one is ill
Glasgowjohn Junior goes to a aschhol with a 1,000 pupils - no one is ill

Winter was colder than normal

Spring has been poor so far

There are still no mosquitos in my barrio - Villa del Parque

Hard to predict what this summer will bring...

Somebody I know was hospitalized very ill with dengue in BA in the late summer/early autumn. In my particular case, I did not go anywhere without spraying mosquito repellent or taking it with me during the past summer/autumn. I know that within a crowd, they will always get me, so I am very careful with that. You don't even notice them while they are biting you.... It's best not to take chances. Try to get your green can of Off mosquito repellent and spray it once in a while - it lasts longer.

I was in the campo yesterday and the mosquitos were on the attack.

I avoid using sprays like Off as all they seem to do is induce a fit of coughing in me and leave me gasping for air. I rely more on my cigarette/pipe smoke to repel the little buggers.

I live in Recoleta near Pueyrredon and Las Heras. I have mosquitoes year round! Maybe a few less when the weather gets cold and slows them down but because of all the rain they have been prolific this year. I have mosquito bites routinely. There are always one or two sneaking into my place daily. As for communicating disease, it's hard for me to believe that mosquitoes in Recoleta are any different than possibly disease-carrying mosquitoes in Tigre only a few miles away. Several vets have told me I don't need to worry because Tigre is a few miles away. I say bull!

I live in Recoleta near Pueyrredon and Las Heras. I have mosquitoes year round! Maybe a few less when the weather gets cold and slows them down but because of all the rain they have been prolific this year. I have mosquito bites routinely. There are always one or two sneaking into my place daily. As for communicating disease, it's hard for me to believe that mosquitoes in Recoleta are any different than possibly disease-carrying mosquitoes in Tigre only a few miles away. Several vets have told me I don't need to worry because Tigre is a few miles away. I say bull!

What's the situation in Tigre?
Also have you heard anything personally about people in Buenos Aires getting dengue or other tropical diseases? Is it risky to bring my mom for a few months in the summer?

Back