What is with the coffee?

ootz

Registered
Dear People,
Okay, I must be a coffee snob but where is all this Italian coffee? Aren't there a gazillion Italians here? I have tried ALL of the coffee available here in Argentina from the supermarcado shelves to the gourmet coffee stores...they are all weak and....well...horrible. They actually give me a stomache ache...too much acid?
I hate to whine....any suggestions as to where to find dark Italian coffee?
Is it that import fees are too high? Where is all the Aribica around here?
Bonnie

Well, thanks for the explanation and information....my friend from Florida is coming to visit at the ent of Feb. and she promises to bring me some of my favorite coffee. Actually, I found a very inexpensive expresso aribica ground coffee, on the shelf at the local grocery stores for about $3 a pound...U.S.! So....I will be patient. Otherwise, I LOVE Buenos Aires.

The best brand of Italian coffee you can get here is Segafredo I believe, although I haven't looked in any specialy shops, Lavazza may in fact be available.I too have had many a burnt coffee here. If you can make it at home, that's the best -- buy yourself a cafetiere (they are widely available) and go to Jumbo (the international section) for the coffee. (I've been too lazy to this myself so far, lol). As far as cafe's go, look for the Segafredo sign, although my personal choice (simply due to proximity to my house) is the Victoria Cream on Coronel Diaz & Charcas (I believe, I may be off on the cross street). I've never once had a burnt coffee there. Piacere is decent as well, they have a couple of different locations in Palermo.

Hello !

Do not worry I have heard that by the end of this year, Nespresso the legendary best espresso coffee will launch a boutique bar in BA ! So we will be able to drink a nice coffee but also to have it at home.
I got this news from one friend who is working for Nespresso !!!! So it is trustable information.
Hope it will give you hope for a near future !
Talk to you soon.
Philippe

I would like to add one more thing. I used to have a cafe in San Isidro and we sold some coffeee drinks similar to those you get in the U.S. and they never did catch on. The customs of the Argies are so traditional...they get their small coffees "cortados" and only just recently started the capuchino trend. As far as the roasts....they are roasted much more lightly here than in the U.S.....the dark "Italian" roast as its called is just not accepted here. If you want good coffee to bring home to make I recomend the following: try jgoing to either Cafe Martinez or Bonafide....and ask them for the darkest roasts they have and have them grind it very fine. Remember that there are 2 types of coffees here; "torrado" and "tostado"....Torado is a local invention where they roast the beans with sugar to help mask the lower quality beans, (this all happened from the "was days"). You might want to buy the little italian "on the stove" coffee makers (you put the water in the bottom and the coffee in the little cup, srew it on and walah!)....beleive me...I've tried lots of things....that is my best formula. And when you go to a cafe, look for "Cafe Oyambre", "El Bohio", or "Macchiato"....those I think are the best, (I've been to all three of those roasters).
I hope I was helpfull!

btw, I went to Sudestada for lunch a couple of weeks ago, I think they have the best coffee I have tasted here -- unfortunately I asked them if it was available for sale and he said no it's a special grind for them -- it's got a really nice nutty flavour.

Coffee Found!!!
Finally I have found a wonderful coffee that I can make at home....found it at Coto on French at Peuyyredon.in Barrio Norte....Segafredo, Expersso....it is vacuumed packed....or shrink wrapped...and perhaps that is the secret. Most coffee on the shelf is not sealed properly and, therefore, it is really all stale. This does not make a good beginning for a good coffee. ANyhow, going to Urugay and I was told they sell Brazilian coffee there....can't wait!

I was just at Jumbo -- they have Segafreddo, Illy, and a bunch of gourmet brands -- they even have Illy decafeinated.

Ootz-- have your tried Cafe Martinez..? They seem to have a decent offering of different styles and blends, and seem to be better stocked than the traditional Bonafide.

As someone noted, Illy is available here, Segafredo, and even Lavazza, they're just not commonly used by most cafes and restaurants because yes, they are more expensive. the best coffees I've found here are at the Est. Gen. de Cafes - the main one (where they roast the beans, and they'll even roast them to your specifications for a 1 kilo minimum order) is on Pueyrredon between Arenales and Beruti. They import coffee from all over the world and usually seem to have at least a couple of dozen different selections. They're more pricey than supermarket brands, but the beans are freshly roasted, ground in front of you, and far better tasting.

Back