What Neighborhood Should I Move To?

steveinbsas said:
What are you talking about? Who is speaking English pretentiously in Palermo?

If portenos are speaking English with an English accent, that would be pretentious, otherwise???:confused:

I'm not sure if you just missed my point or if you didn't understand my use of the word pretense.

PhilipDT said:
I'm not sure if you just missed my point or if you didn't understand my use of the word pretense.

Wouldn't those be the same thing?

Instead of making it about me, why don't you just answer the question?;)

steveinbsas said:
Wouldn't those be the same thing?

Instead of making it about me, why don't you just answer the question?;)

Puerto Madero makes no pretenses about what it is, an upper middle class residential, commercial and very tourist filled barrio. Palermo is also an upper middle class overly commercial tourist filled barrio. The difference is everyone in palermo is busy denying it and trying to claim that it's a 'real argentine barrio' whatever the hell that means.

The demographic and commercial profiles of the two barrios are pretty much identical.

I'd guess you'd hear twice as much english walking around palermo as you would walking around PM. This is what I remember from when I lived in palermo, I try and generally avoid the place these days.

PhilipDT said:
Puerto Madero makes no pretenses about what it is, an upper middle class residential, commercial and very tourist filled barrio. Palermo is also an upper middle class overly commercial tourist filled barrio. The difference is everyone in palermo is busy denying it and trying to claim that it's a 'real argentine barrio' whatever the hell that means.

The demographic and commercial profiles of the two barrios are pretty much identical.

I'd guess you'd hear twice as much english walking around palermo as you would walking around PM. This is what I remember from when I lived in palermo, I try and generally avoid the place these days.

Pretty bitter about what is ostensibly a very nice place to live.

On a personal note it really grates me when Ex-pats bang on about a place being shite because its full of English speakers or tourists. You are not here on some crusade far from your fellow native English speakers here. Tackling adventures and scribing your escapades to be adoringly recanted back at home to wide eyes. You are in a multi-cultural city in the 21st century. People travel, especially English speakers, you are going to see/hear.meet them. They don't detract from the aesthetics of the barrio; please get over yourselves (If you want live away from the English language kindly b****r off into the jungle).

-Rant, sorry.

rrptownley said:

On a personal note it really grates me when Ex-pats bang on about a place being shite because its full of English speakers or tourists. You are not here on some crusade far from your fellow native English speakers here. Tackling adventures and scribing your escapades to be adoringly recanted back at home to wide eyes. You are in a multi-cultural city in the 21st century. People travel, especially English speakers, you are going to see/hear.meet them. They don't detract from the aesthetics of the barrio; please get over yourselves (If you want live away from the English language kindly b****r off into the jungle).

-Rant, sorry.

Sorry but that is BS. It may be 21st century multi cultural city but there are few areas which contain 95% of the native english speaking population.

Plus its not the english speakers who are ruining the 'aesthetics' of palermo. Palermo ruins the aesthetics of palermo all by itself. Its just so damn kitschy.

Well here you can see two different opinions on Barrio choice in BsAs.

If you are just arriving here fresh I feel you are probably best staying somewhere temporary in Palermo (I like) or San Telmo (not my fave). *Soak up the city and after a month or two make a decision as to where feels good for you.*

When we speak about Palermo we are usually speaking about Palermo Soho/Hollywood (which are touristy and expatty, but for a reason). It is a really big neighbourhood and there are some great parts which can satisfy anybody.

My favourite neighbourhoods of the City are two pockets of Barrio Norte near Laprida and Juncal, Sanchez Del Bustamente and Pena and most of the street called Frencn from Coronel Diaz to Puerrydon and the section of Almagro near Rivadavia and Medrano. These are excellent choices for new people to enjoy the best that Buenos Aires has to offer.

rrptownley said:
Well here you can see two different opinions on Barrio choice in BsAs.

If you are just arriving here fresh I feel you are probably best staying somewhere temporary in Palermo (I like) or San Telmo (not my fave). *Soak up the city and after a month or two make a decision as to where feels good for you.*

When we speak about Palermo we are usually speaking about Palermo Soho/Hollywood (which are touristy and expatty, but for a reason). It is a really big neighbourhood and there are some great parts which can satisfy anybody.

Why san telmo or palermo? You couldn't pay me to live in santelmo, there are a million better areas to live here.

rrptownley said:

-Rant, sorry.

I have no problem with English speakers (or N American for that matter) I just have a problem understanding why anyone would travel halfway around the world to be in the same enviroment and with the same people that they left behind.

PS Before I get beaten up for being anti American, I have no problem with N American English, just accept that as english is a living language, being on opposite sides of the Atlantic it has grown into two different languages.

Back