Cleanliness of Palermo or Other Safe Neighborhoods

Jenn King

Registered
I just read multiple posts regarding the prevalence of dog waste. I recently returned from Cozumel, Mexico and was disgusted to see it on the sidewalk there, except for the one main street along the water. If I find an apartment in Palermo or Recoleta will I be surrounded by waste and garbage? What are the cleanest neighborhoods? I want to find somewhere that I can enjoy walking without seeing and smelling waste. Any suggestions?

no one area is devoid of it. even in puerto madero. but its not really all that bad, just gotta keep your eyes open where you step sometimes thanks to lazy assholes not cleaning up after their pet

I live in Palermo, and yes, poos and piss are literally everywhere on the sidewalk. And now with summer humidity, it's smelly everywhere.

Based on both your postings, you may want to checkout Mar de Plata.

In the 'off season' (March-November) the place clears out, great infrastructure, but low density population. The locals are low key, friendly, polite.

Safer city and I don't recall dog poop being a problem.

In my experience, the people living in the 'touristy' cities of Argentina are more aware of dog poop and work to mitigate it.

If the city had the police hand out tickets for Law 451 1.3.12, the excrement problem could be solved in a few months after charging a fine. Everyone would notice the difference.

The law was established years ago but is never enforced. A person who is caught will remember their embarrassment and never do it again.

I avoided walking barefoot in the grass around Rosedale last night for this reason.

If the city had the police hand out tickets for Law 451 1.3.12, the excrement problem could be solved in a few months after charging a fine. Everyone would notice the difference.

The law was established years ago but is never enforced. A person who is caught will remember their embarrassment and never do it again.

I avoided walking barefoot in the grass around Rosedale last night for this reason.
If. If traffic laws will be obeyed, if jobs will be en blanco, if most taxes will be paid, if other laws would be resorted,.. Argentina would not have many troubles left. It would be normal developed country.

Based on both your postings, you may want to checkout Mar de Plata.

In the 'off season' (March-November) the place clears out, great infrastructure, but low density population. The locals are low key, friendly, polite.

Safer city and I don't recall dog poop being a problem.

In my experience, the people living in the 'touristy' cities of Argentina are more aware of dog poop and work to mitigate it.
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I am not going to live (or visit) any place where I have to smell dog poop all the time. Not willing to get used to it. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see it as a big deal but, to each their own. Guess I am picky but I have a very well developed sense of smell and I would not choose to put up with that. Ugh. Mar del Plata. I know it's on the coast which would be wonderful. I wonder if there is an airport there. I will research it. Does anyone else know anything about Mar del Plata?

Guess I am picky but I have a very well developed sense of smell and I would not choose to put up with that.
I think the issue with dog poop is greatly exaggerated. Sure, occasionally someone might not clean up after their dog, but 15 years ago, the idea of doing so wasn't even on people's radar. I believe, if you can handle downtown Chicago or San Francisco, this probably shouldn't be a problem for you.

Besides, aren't you bothered by whole families living on the streets? Where do you think they go to use the bathroom?

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I am not going to live (or visit) any place where I have to smell dog poop all the time. Not willing to get used to it. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see it as a big deal but, to each their own. Guess I am picky but I have a very well developed sense of smell and I would not choose to put up with that. Ugh. Mar del Plata. I know it's on the coast which would be wonderful. I wonder if there is an airport there. I will research it. Does anyone else know anything about Mar del Plata?
There’s also paving slabs that spurt dirty water up your leg when you step on them and you have no real way of knowing when it will happen.

Likely the dirty water is also mixed with dog shit, who knows?

It’s hell for those with a highly developed sense of smell.

Back