What to do?

BA80

Registered
Hi

I need some help here. I am due to pay my rent tomorrow and my landlady sent me an email saying that due to the circumstances to do with the dollar she says that she will need me to pay the equivalent of $1000 Dollars in pesos at a rate of 4.7 pesos to the dollar! She says this is the black market rate which I am sure it is but why the hell do I need to pay that? The official rate is 4.26 in the Banco Central? She is obviously trying it on but how on earth do I get my hands on dollars at a reasonable rate?

Thanks in advance

4.7 is somewhat reasonablen, 4.55 best rate . as of today

May I ask where did you get that rate?

This is according to the banco de la nacio Argentina

compra venta
Dólar 4.24 4.28

Really I see 427 as the best rate at the moment for legal transactions. Just tell her that you'll pay that as you can't be involved in criminal activities. if not just don't pay her. Change the locks. Shell cave quickly.

that s the rate of my favorite cafe offers, certainly not the gov rate. good luck

BA80 said:
Hi

I need some help here. I am due to pay my rent tomorrow and my landlady sent me an email saying that due to the circumstances to do with the dollar she says that she will need me to pay the equivalent of $1000 Dollars in pesos at a rate of 4.7 pesos to the dollar! She says this is the black market rate which I am sure it is but why the hell do I need to pay that? The official rate is 4.26 in the Banco Central? She is obviously trying it on but how on earth do I get my hands on dollars at a reasonable rate?

Thanks in advance

WHAT???!!! Giver her dollars and let her do the exchange. It's obvious that she can not exchange it. You are in the strong position here!

There was a thread similar to this last week.
Simple--you tell her you'll pay the official rate no more no less, and if she balks just call her bluff and say you'll report her to the AFIP. End of story. Don't let her take such shameless advantage!

Shoot me a PM....I have dollars to sell for 4.5. Don't give her too hard of a time....she likely cannot exchange anything like Many Argentines right now.

Fucking with Argie landlords is a really great way to go crazy....Don't piss the lady off...you'll regret it forever. The official rate is much different than reality...because there is simple a lack of supply of dollars.

Why don't you just go to a casa de cambio and buy the dollars at the official rate. Unless your visa has expired there should be no problem. Why pay BA finance 4.50 when you can buy around 4.26???

Back