What To Expect With A Furneral In Colombia

just want to thank those of you who responded. think I now know cremation is OK. contact a funeral home or a crematorium and find a venue to celebrate her life. el dios y yo dice gracias por todo. Daniella Delgado may you rest I peace.

Don't know about Colombia, but in my experience Argentinos are pretty matter-of-fact about the funeral process - get it done, remember, and get on with life.

Sending best thoughts your way.

cecil fox and wineguy all of that. Catholic's and fast. got the info at 6:00 am. booked flight for paticia leaving 4:30 arriving next day at 9:00am tuesday. returned home and called united premier desk asking for assistance. they booked a flight Houston, San Salvador, Medellin arriving 12:30 am Wednesday. keep in mind we have a dead beat dad. the body arrived at 9:00 am the same time as patricia. by the time I arrived that night, they had already had a service and buried her. extended family intervened. did feel alittle left out but glad to be relieve of upfront decisions. continued with family today and rosary ceremony.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Sincere condolences[/background]

So tragic... very sorry to hear.

From my experience a lot of Catholics don't like cremation -- but they do move fast to bury (not always in the ground, but those above ground cemetery vaults.)

What a tragedy! My condolences. I guess it is good that all the extended family helped out ( it is expected that family helps with these matters ). In general Catholics do not cremate in South America. I am not sure about Colombia, in Argentina the usual is a wake that lasts about 12 hours, after the body has been prepared ( not embalmed ) usually the wake lasts all night long, and then early in teh morning we all go to the cemetery for a religious ceremony ( responso ) and burial.

I think honestly it is a question of budget -- I've been to a few funerals here, only those with the funds do not cremate these days. Otherwise cremation is a much more affordable option. The services at Chacarita are almost like a conveyor belt, you go there, there will be tonnes of families. First they will have the casket taken into one area where therre are about 4 pedestals or more, there will be multiple blessings going on at once, so your party gathers around the casket that contains the body of your relative etc. The priest will ask their name and deliver the same blessing. Then the party loads the casket back into the hearst, the car will pull out and your party will follow in their own cars and drive to the crematorium. Your party unloads the casket then carries it into the room when signalled and puts it on a literal conveyor belt and then the doors at the foot will open and it will be received by staff on the other end. I've been to 3 ceremonies like this, it is a relatively cheap way to be buried. Then it takes a few days to receive the ashes and at that point you either bury in a plot, or take home etc.

Back