What Would An Argentine Do? An Ethical/moral Dilema...

Adding to this discussion, we started speculating on what other people may do in this situation and what impacts their decision. For instance, my moral/ethical compass comes from my dead, Catholic, mid-western-raised mother whom I can hear tsking in the back of my mind when crap like this happens. (Oh, the guilt, will it never go away??)

So what would you do and why?

That little voice is normally a force to do good for others even if its serves you a lifetime of guilt and self- flagellation. My own is Irish protestant but it speaks your language and delivers the same rebukes it seems! :mellow:..oh and in this case I would drink a toast to your dead mother and be happy you didn't get the cashier in trouble..

I dont know what Argentines would do, I'm still trying to understand how they treat (mistreat) each other.
Most likely there is no way to know how it was that an item left the store without being paid for (error by one of the clerks, shoplifting). So he/she would not suffer too much.
I can understand how your mother wont let you forget this. My Jewish father has been gone a long time but he still gives me daily messages of criticism. Perhaps he has met your mother.
Regardless of what Argentines would do in this situation, if its is going to bother you, do an act of kindness. Donate double the amount to an animal welfare fund. Help a sick child. Buy me a beer at the Expat Picnic on Feb 3.

I don't understand the assumption that an Argentine wouldn't go back to the cashier in any similar situation.

Purely speculation on our part based on stereotypes and cultural observations. Perhaps some may go back, but based on the responses we received from our Argentine friends and the answers here, no one has said they would go back to fix the problem, Argentine or otherwise. Most agree that it would possibly cause more issues than it would fix. Which, in my opinion, says more about "the system" than it does the morals or ethics of people in general. Generally, people want to do the right thing, but sometimes "the right thing" comes at a higher cost here and just doesn't make it worth it.

bankerr.jpg

This was a great thread. I see real moral values here that make me proud. About all that was said about not getting the girl in trouble. I completely agree. THAT is the greater kindness. I have a deep biblical value system myself and I would not take it back (giggle-giggle 'course I wouldn't have bought it in the first place but that's beside the point) and I would not feel guilty about it either. I think that is the correct decision. PLUS I think you're all GREAT!

Back