What would happen if I refused to pay the guy washing my car window?

I have never seen someone start washing the window without a nod or some other go-ahead from the driver. I am not defending these people, as they would sooner rob you, but why not just make it clear you don't want the window washed if they start to do it?

And I agree with Perry, some cities are worse for this kind of stuff, such as Paris.

I have never seen someone start washing the window without a nod or some other go-ahead from the driver. I am not defending these people, as they would sooner rob you, but why not just make it clear you don't want the window washed if they start to do it?

And I agree with Perry, some cities are worse for this kind of stuff, such as Paris.

This is exactly right in my, limited, experience with these washers and trapitos.

I suspect some of the people posting here may come across as more obvious 'targets' due to their accents and appearance. Probably harder for them to get the guy to leave by saying 'no qiyerow limpie ventana pour favoor'... :p

Good Luck!

This is exactly right in my, limited, experience with these washers and trapitos.

I suspect some of the people posting here may come across as more obvious 'targets' due to their accents and appearance. Probably harder for them to get the guy to leave by saying 'no qiyerow limpie ventana pour favoor'... :p

Good Luck!
So are your accent and Spanish native?

I just figured that if you were going to make fun of other people's Spanish that yours must be native, not just bilingual.

I just figured that if you were going to make fun of other people's Spanish that yours must be native, not just bilingual.

I was trying to be more teasy/funny than hasrhly making fun. I guess tone doesn't come across well in written text. Sorry if you took my comment that way though.

I was, actually just trying to point out something which hadn't been mentioned yet in this thread.

When I talk about accent and appearance (demeanour would be more apt actually), I'm just trying to point out that a lot of rich expats may be harassed more than a local by the trapitos, and have less chance of saying no.

Not all expats are rich of course, I'm sure some live on the equivalent to the Argentine minimum wage, I know some of them personally.

But for the most part that's not the case. And that's probably the origin of me satirising the 'rich expat' so offended by the peasant forcefully asking for 10 pesos (27 US cents).

Maybe I'm wrong in doing that. Maybe not.

Beyond that, tourists and xpats are always bigger targets in their adopted locations, they somehow always standout a little.

In any case, hope that explains my comment a little better.

Cheers!

Always amazed at people handing back half of their income in taxes in their home countries but fight with local street urchins for pennies. Do not know that specific intersection in BA but in Asuncion, I smile and pay so they don't touch my windshield.

I was trying to be more teasy/funny than hasrhly making fun. I guess tone doesn't come across well in written text. Sorry if you took my comment that way though.

I was, actually just trying to point out something which hadn't been mentioned yet in this thread.

When I talk about accent and appearance (demeanour would be more apt actually), I'm just trying to point out that a lot of rich expats may be harassed more than a local by the trapitos, and have less chance of saying no.

Not all expats are rich of course, I'm sure some live on the equivalent to the Argentine minimum wage, I know some of them personally.

But for the most part that's not the case. And that's probably the origin of me satirising the 'rich expat' so offended by the peasant forcefully asking for 10 pesos (27 US cents).

Maybe I'm wrong in doing that. Maybe not.

Beyond that, tourists and xpats are always bigger targets in their adopted locations, they somehow always standout a little.

In any case, hope that explains my comment a little better.

Cheers!
Thanks for you explanation. I think we all at times try to make a point using humor and
that may not be understood as we intended.

I was going to say in this thread that I just give those guys 10 pesos and they are happy with that and go on to the next car. Part of my reasoning in doing that is that at least they are doing something; they are not just sitting on their duffs waiting for a handout ( well, for the most part no). And while we never know how much money another person gives away in other contexts and nobody likes being forced to give, it is so little money, especially for many Expats, as you say, that we probably do deserve criticism if we are not willing to give at least that.

The problem for me is that I have heard of beggar mafias and folks offered work who wanted to keep begging, and I want to make sure that my money goes to folks that really need it, because there are so many folks here and elsewhere that really do need it. Having said all that, giving 10 pesos to someone who may not need it as much as others is not a big deal.

The bottom line for me in all this discussion is that I probably need to be more generous than I am.

Back