What Would You Bring From Usa For Move?

Re: toiletries and cosmetics: If you color your hair, bring your hair color product!!!!! Seriously!! I use a L'oreal product. I am blonde. It is available here, in every drugstore. So why bring it instead of buying it here? It's the same brand, the same packaging, the same face of the same woman on the package. Except if I use the locally bought product I look like the freak. My hair comes out 1) looking very damaged and 2) a dirty dark brownish ugly color that takes weeks to lighten up again. I made that mistake twice. Since then I bring months and months worth of the stuff on the plane.

This is only one example.

All of the above. A few things off the top of my head:

Anything you buy that's made in china - it's more expensive here and lower quality.
Clothes, especially jeans and sneakers, jackets and such for winter
Glasses - if you wear them, make sure they're in good shape and up-to-date prescription.
Fingernail clippers
A good heavy skillet and/or cooking pan
Electronics, as long as they work at 220V
Batteries for laptop/cell in good condition
Good quality camera
Some basic high quality tools might be handy
Complete English/Spanish dictionary and some books if you like to read, or maybe an electronic book reader
Dollars - all you possibly can

You might think in terms of selling off much of this shortly before you leave, selling in dollars or using the money for living expenses the last couple months. Don't be afraid to push luggage to the limit. Know the luggage size/weight limits for your airline well in advance and give yourself plenty of time to pack the maximum possible. It will be worth the luggage fees to bring all you can. Just don't make it obvious you're bringing new items, especially your Argentine husband.

Re: made in China - there are two categories: 1) made in China (not too good) and 2) made in China for Argentina (all the rejects that don't make it past inspection in other countries). So every time we buy a light bulb or a transformer or whatever, we usually buy three so that at least one might work.

Same with linens and pillow cases - they often have open hems where the machine missed. et cetera

Look around your kitchen and choose the thinks you love and difficult to live without, ie good knife, frying pan, pepper grinder, etc. Most things are available, but by the time you find them you'll be ready to leave. Your family will have a great time.
Nancy

and the funny thing is, like many expats..you will arrive in Bsas, go to Jumbo, Easy, Walmart, Alto Palermo, Alcorte etc and say to yourself ..what the hell were those expats talking about? - there's lot of stuff to buy here....and then after you've bought your first saucepan whose handle falls off or a 30usd pair of kids shorts whose seams start to unravel after 3 washes etc..then and only then will you say Thanks BAEXPATs....all part of the adaptation process. Enjoy.

I have 3 kids and have recently been to the US for the first time with them. Looking around at all the shopping we did there (had to buy 2 big suitcases to bring it home!), I with what others have said. Bras and underwear, socks, basics like jeans. Toys for the kids. The selection for kids here is very poor, and as an example of price differences, the same Minnie Mouse doll we bought in Orlando for 20 dollars is available here for 499 argentine pesos and is slightly smaller and not soft.

Someone mentioned Washington school and Belgrano Day School, both are good. If you are going to be in Belgrano area, and Lincoln is too far, you might want to consider some schools in Vicente Lopez/ Florida area which is still pretty close, such as Florida Day School or St. Gregory's College (Vicente Lopez).

But if you're concerned about having your 6 year old starting 1st grade too soon or staying behind in kindergarden, Lincoln is a good option since it follows the American school calendar.

Agree with paying for extra luggage. You'll be happy you brought more things. Things we are happy we brought...

USD$
clothes
shoes!!!
electronics
toys (we brought gallon ziplocs full of legos!)
a couple of good quality pots/pans
good knives if you like to cook
cocoa powder
maple syrup
spices

In case you cant fit all the pots and pans in your suitcase, Ive had my Tramontina kitchenware for almost 18 months (bought here, Brazilian brand) and they are still going strong (PD not a profesional chef so they go are sufficient for me). Particularly if your bringing them with you and if you are buying them with pesos bought with USDs you have exchanged on the blue market!!

Good quality sheets and towels you will struggle to find though (and even at the blue rate they will be pricey). I would highly recommend that.

Which, if you dont already know, you should bring as many USDs as you can and exchange them for pesos when you get here. That is IMO your most important item.

Otherwise, as others have said:
- food items that are mentioned which are difficult to find and/or of inferior quality
- electronics (dont plan on stocking up here)
- toys etc
- perfumes, good quality shampoo, conditioner etc
Most importantly, if you dont forget to bring your patience, you and your family will have a great time!

Back