What Would You Go See?

Excellent thread. My notebook is now full of things to do :). I particularly like Las Violetas, its so my scene :D

Many thanks for all the suggestions fifis, Rich One and frenchie.

Thanks everyone for the contribution. Keep them coming. I have family coming to visit us from France and now I have a long list of places to visit with them.

Things we have done and liked:

Isla Martin Garcia: nice for a day trip. You enjoy the river and the big iguanas but you get eaten alive by mosquitos so take repellent.

Café los Angelitos for the atmosphere and the cakes http://www.cafedelosangelitos.com/

Museo Sivori (close to Rosedal) http://www.museosivori.org.ar/

Watch Pato games (Argentine National Sport) More info here: http://www.pato.org.ar/

Ateneo bookstore on Santa Fe 1800 to see the paintings of the Gran Splendid teatro where Gardel sang.

If they like to walk,

1) take the Av de Mayo form Plaza de Mayo to Congreso. Lots of spanish architecture and european vibe, plus you have lots of traditionals caffes. Its touristy though.

2) if they still want to walk, I ll go from the Facultad de Derecho up to the Jardin japones, all by Figueroa Alcorta and Libertador: you have ATC, the Palacio Errazuriz, now Museo Nacional de Arte Decorativo, the Malba, you can get in and go over Palermo Chico, the Paseo Alcorta mall, and finally the japanese gardens. A little long maybe.

Museo Benito Quinquela Martin in La Boca (on the front only a couple of hundred yards from the PROA). QM was possibly the best artist Argentina has produced (the originals are nothing like the prints you may have seen). He was born and worked in his teens on the docks but found a patron early who sent him to Europe. Became internationally known and is still one of the most expensive Argentine artists you can buy because of worldwide auction demand. Lived out his later life back in La Boca and the building he lived in is now a museum which has recently been refurbished. The upper floors have some stunning and large canvases, very evocative of life in the port. This may be well known to a lot of you but possible not as it doesn't seem to get the promotion that the Proa or Usina del arte get and a lot of my Argentine friends had never been. If you like figurative colorism and a strangely free and modern style for his era, combined with a real sense of the history and community of La Boca, then you will love it.

I recommend to vist the Cementario de la Chacarita. Behind the monumental entrance portal and a lot of elevated crypts you will find a real impressive example of modern architecture. A great part of the site is located below the ground.
You can enter the site through different staircases that are covered by characteristic concrete roofs that make every entry unique. There are not too many gems of modern architecture in the City, this is defiantly my favorite.

The Hipódromo might be worth a visit to see some really beautiful horses, especially when they present them to the public. Entrance is free.

I like the atmosphere in these obscure, hidden “shopping malls” in Once where they all sell quite the same.

Everytime when I´m close I check the Teatro San Martín for new exhibitions or upcoming events or free concerts. Also a really good place when you need a public bathroom.

Parque de la Memoria, very well explained.
Plaza Francia, do not buy something there, just enjoy the music and atmosphere
Feria de antigüedades in San Telmo but after 18.00 hrs: the milonga starts and the prices drops very sharp.

Back