What would you miss most if you left Argentina?

UK Man

Registered
I'm always moaning to the wife about the things I miss in the UK (she's probably worse than me despite being Argentine) and was thinking when/if the day comes we move back what would be the things I would miss most from here?
Apart from the hottest days of summer which I detest I reckon I'd miss the weather the most. As I'm a pipe smoker I'd also miss the tabaco en cuerda I smoke....it's cheap as chips and pretty decent stuff. Aside from those two I'm kind of struggling to come up with anything else.

You?

I will be the first to admit that, in the past 9+ years that I have lived in Buenos Aires, I have fantasized multiple times about jumping like a rat from a sinking ship, taking a taxi to Ezeiza, and purchasing a one-way ticket out of the country.
1525451975110.png

Alas, it is still just a fantasy. As much as I would still like to, my Argentine husband and his closely-knit family are here to stay, and thus, so am I. Even I know deep down inside that I would miss my extended Argentine family here as well. I would miss my quirky Argentine acquaintances and friends. I would miss the school where I teach English, and I would miss decent health care coverage (especially if leaving Argentina meant returning back to the United States).

Apart from that... ?

The people

I can understand that. I have no problem with the people...they're great.

I will be the first to admit that, in the past 9+ years that I have lived in Buenos Aires, I have fantasized multiple times about jumping like a rat from a sinking ship, taking a taxi to Ezeiza, and purchasing a one-way ticket out of the country.
View attachment 4974

Alas, it is still just a fantasy. As much as I would still like to, my Argentine husband and his closely-knit family are here to stay, and thus, so am I. Even I know deep down inside that I would miss my extended Argentine family here as well. I would miss my quirky Argentine acquaintances and friends. I would miss the school where I teach English, and I would miss decent health care coverage (especially if leaving Argentina meant returning back to the United States).

Apart from that... ?

A bit like our situation. Not that I want her to kick the bucket any time soon as long as my mother in law is alive we'll stay here. There's every chance she'll outlive us both. :D

I'd miss being greeted on the street by the neighbors
I'd miss being greeted by name at stores
I'd miss the blue sky and lovely warm days
I'd miss walking this beautiful city
I'd miss all the incredible free concerts the city offers in dozens of venues all year long
I'd miss walking at the ecological reserve and Palermo park
I'd miss tango dancing with lifelong milongueros
I'd miss the magnificent architecture of the city
I'd miss connecting with friendly portenos in daily life
I'd miss all the hug and kisses I receive and give to friends and acquaintances in this grand city

I will never leave Argentina.

Living in my neighborhood and in my PH.....as well as my neighbors and friends.
Walking everywhere and enjoying the local architecture.
The accessibility to public transportation.
But when my time comes to leave BA....no regrets.

Compared to the US... The healthcare system, the freedom from someone telling me what I can do with my house (no permits, which has its own issues), not afraid to get randomly shot or harrassed by a police officer (might get randomly shot or harrassed here, but not by police) :p , my favorite mall and movie theater (as luxuries, are cleaner and better), the sit down coffee culture, the city architecture and street/public transport system, and the more laid back lifestyle.

I live pretty good here. I get frustrated a lot, and I wish some things worked better (like the mail system) but all in all, I don't miss the US much either, except for being so far from family and some comforts (products and foods.) I find a yearly trip back “home” keeps my sanity in check.

Agree with Crema and there are no Trumpsters here which keeps me out of jail.. LOL!

As someone who left and went back to the UK, I miss the weather, my friends, eating out casually all the time, the fact that people aren't working themselves into the ground, the pace of life, the steak and ice cream, the friendly interactions I had with a dozen people each day. I miss Buenos Aires for countless reasons. I don't regret leaving though.

I’ve left but I will keep coming back fir many of the same reasons above. About to return to the US, again, this weekend. :(

Trunpsters, here I come!

Back