What you don't see in Japan

TexanPaul

Registered
I think it's important to point out what you don't see happening in Japan that happens in other parts of the world. No looters. No one taking advantage of a broken store window.

Let Japan be an example to the world to what is possible when people lack entitlement.

Yeah, their stoicism is well known. In the article it's not clearly mentioned but I read that they actually don't have a proper translation for saying "good luck", instead they usually say something similar to "stay strong", that says it all, doesn't it?

The comment "people lack entitlement" may be misleading to people who do not know Japan. The social fabric for insiders in Japan provides a quality, depth and commitment of service to others that is entire. I have seen nothing similar in the US or Europe, except within individual family kinship bonds.

If you mean "entitlement" as a comparison the current political loading of the word "entitlement" in the US, then it seems inappropriate to offer such a comparison in the context of the response to the tsunami. I can only tell you that Japanese companies including small companies are providing accommodation for evacuated families of their employees until they return to work.

clooz said:
The comment "people lack entitlement" may be misleading to people who do not know Japan. The social fabric for insiders in Japan provides a quality, depth and commitment of service to others that is entire. I have seen nothing similar in the US or Europe, except within individual family kinship bonds.

If you mean "entitlement" as a comparison the current political loading of the word "entitlement" in the US, then it seems inappropriate to offer such a comparison in the context of the response to the tsunami. I can only tell you that Japanese companies including small companies are providing accommodation for evacuated families of their employees until they return to work.

How exactly is it inappropriate, seems to be perfectly appropriate. Look what happened after Katrina and all the looters. Chile's earthquake, same thing. The "entitlement mentality" is running rampant in the World.

The Japanese would rather die than steal or demand the Govt or Private business GIVE them something.

Companies, charities, and private citizens are helping of their own free will.

It's a mix of culture and lack of extreme class differences, I would assume. I lived in Japan for a few months and I loved it.

xibeca said:
It's a mix of culture and lack of extreme class differences, I would assume. I lived in Japan for a few months and I loved it.

In places like Japan, Norway and Sweden you would not see it. In places like New Orleans, Haiti, and Nigeria you would. Draw your own conclusions.

The Japanese social value that causes government, business and individuals to give to each other is called "giri". Giri is a cultural value that does not map at all cleanly to a Western social value like obligation. "giri" means something like give-receive-membership-obligation-honor. The Japanese are eclectic, so they do give for other reasons, but not when it involves family, nation or other key social groups.

The social obligation to receive, and the obligation to gift in "giri" is very strong. A demand for giri comes not as a request to the giver from the receiver of the gift or service - this is too direct and weakens group cohesion. When the demand is expressed, it come's from the group head to and on behalf of everyone in the group, and it calls on the members to put their membership in that group above other needs. The person who does not give as obligated or receive as obligated is humiliated and dishonors the entire group, which does happen. The experience of giri permeates all Japanese relationships and groups.

The Japanese language marks group membership relationships in speech. So to speak and listen everyone is continually aware of which groups they are speaking in and out of, and also the groups' of the people they are speaking to. Class and the social level of group members are also marked in speech. Everyone in Japan is a member of many groups, which include family, school, work group, company, clan, and nation. People do become marginalized and lose group membership.

The Japanese prime minister's speech after the tsunami invoked publicly in the Japanese their membership of the national group, above others. In context, no Japanese considers themselves to be acting as individuals, outside a group, nor acting independently out of free will. In context of the tsunami, any gift or help is performed as an act of group membership, to increase membership cohesion of the groups.

Trying to apply Western cultural values or terms in order to understand Japanese behavior assumes that equivalent cultural values or memes can be found in the Japanese culture. This seems like a reasonable starting point, but after trying this for a century, Japan scholars, ethnographers and so on had made little progress using Western ideas to describe Japanese beliefs, and changed to other approaches to understanding Japanese culture. When we say that the cultural distance is great, we mean that the cultural values or memes in one culture do not have clear equivalent values or memes in the other culture. Trying to describe the Japanese in Western terms will no doubt continue. Using Western cultural terms to describe a distant culture is a bit like the problem of using the part names of a camel to describe a bicycle. What no camel's in Japan?

bigbadwolf said:
In places like Japan, Norway and Sweden you would not see it. In places like New Orleans, Haiti, and Nigeria you would. Draw your own conclusions.
And what would you suggest are the conclusions to be drawn-that poor people are more likely to steal...or that dark skinned people are more likely to do so>...

Giri is a good way of explaining the reason why there is not looting and so forth in Japan. Basically it is obligation to society. It goes hand in hand with Wa, or harmony. The two are very symbiotic in Japan. Japan as a nation and culture are incredibly unique and the sense of no looting and so forth, at least the scale of it, is unique for that reason. It is one thing I always found fascinating about Japan when I lived there. I don't think it is something one can emulate in other nations as it is a thoroughly unique Japanese thing

Back