What's The Best Way To Send Money To Argentina?

kellrobinson

Registered
From the U.S., I used PayPal to send some money to a friend in Mendoza. Right now PayPal does not allow the "friends and family" option; you can only send money for Argentina under the "payment for goods and services" option, and you have to use a credit card (no debiting your bank account). This results in a vigorish of about 4.5%
I will need to send money on a regular basis.
Isn't there a better way?

If you have an account in Europe (or a friends account perhaps) then they can send it to Argentina via Azimo with pretty decent rates.
I've used the service a few times and had no problems. Their customer support is also really good:

http://www.azimo.com

Depending on your costs (if you have to transfer money to europe) the straight rate for dollars would be currently 1 usd : 9.69 ars

I forgot to mention my friend receives dollars, the money does not get exchanged into pesos before it gets to him.
Unfortunately, I don't have any European connections which would enable me to use Azimo.
I was thinking about Xoom, but he would get pesos. Now he's getting dollars. Hard to see an advantage.
He says eventually he may be able to open a bank account in Chile or Uruguay. He lives in Mendoza.

I forgot to mention my friend receives dollars, the money does not get exchanged into pesos before it gets to him.
Unfortunately, I don't have any European connections which would enable me to use Azimo.
I was thinking about Xoom, but he would get pesos. Now he's getting dollars. Hard to see an advantage.
He says eventually he may be able to open a bank account in Chile or Uruguay. He lives in Mendoza.

Depending on the amount, it might be worth his while to go to Chile, whose banking regulations are not quite so silly and where he can easily acquire dollars.

He's receiving the money I send in dollars already. I'm just trying to figure out a cheaper way than paying fees to the credit card company and paypal.
I guess I should just be glad the money doesn't get exchanged into pesos.

He's receiving the money I send in dollars already. I'm just trying to figure out a cheaper way than paying fees to the credit card company and paypal.
I guess I should just be glad the money doesn't get exchanged into pesos.

Tell us please how you managed that! :)

Back