Whats Up With Mercadolibre These Days?

Having had a few minutes to "remember" more about the process, I want to add that I think you can start a recalmo now by ckicking on calificar ahora" and indicate that there was a problem and that you decided not to buy the item.

At this point you will be prompted to start the reclamo to get the refund, but you will only be asking the seller to make the refund at this point, not Mercado Pago. You will then have the "opportunity" to send another message to the seller giving the reason why you do not want to finalize the purchase. I think you have the "right" to cancel the purchase for the simple reason that you decided not to buy the item.

If you start a reclamo without contacting the seller first, they will still have several days to respond and if they don't, you'll have to ask Mercado Pago intervene and make the refund. Until that happens your funds will be unavailable.

PS: If it's a refund you want, I suggest you start the reclamo as soon as possible, but it would be "polite" to ask the seller to make the refund before you start the reclamo

After this happens the buyer and seller can leave each other positive, neutral, or negative feedback,

PS: The general location (Capital Federal, San Isidro, Martin Coronado, Mercedes, etc.) appears in the original publication, but the exact home address of the seller is never required.

a lot of sellers find a way to let them be know without breaking _ML's rule. This could be either through their username (it matches the name of their store, so you can just google it and there you have their complete direction and phone numbers), or they add a picture showing their logo (or they write their name on the forefront of each published picture).

Beware Warning

I posted 2 expensive pieces of jewelry on ML and OLX

OLX allows to post email and cell phone

I received an offer via OLX system for one of the items of several thousand dollars , the buyer , She offered sight unseen the asked price and suggested to meet at a Palermo Cafe. Her assistant showed up in a rush and handled me the dollars without checking the jewelry..I examined the bills that were all brand new in a thin light green paper.! Looked very fake to me.. I suggested we go to a nearby exchange place. She refused said had no time..! So no deal.. :cool:

An offer came from the USA to ship the Product to Nigeria as a birthday gift for his son. He would deposit the full amount in my checking before I mail via Correo Argentina,,? What is the Scam they deposit and then cancel the deposit?? Or empty my bank account.

Later Another offer in Spanish came for the exact price in dollars came via whatsapp from area code 813 /Tampa area asking to please mail the item to LAgos Nigeria via Correo Argentina , to surprise his Girlfriend . He would pay the freight . And pay me via Paypal before I ship the product!! He gave me the Address in Lagos. I answered what about insurance? etc asked for more data and then in English answered that I had his location in Tampa, and that it sounded like a scam, the phone was turned off and no response. B) What is the Scam?

Place to deliver the product...

[font=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Dirección: 05 Abiodun Street, Abeokuta[/font]

[font=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Código postal: 110221[/font]

[font=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Estado: Ogun State[/font]

[font=wf_segoe-ui_normal]País: Nigeria[/font]

One thing I noticed on ML is that it no longer accepts my USA credit cards. They worked fine for 3 years and now no longer do. However they work in all brick and mortor stores in Argentina.

I also cant pay via cash any more on most things I wish to purchase, so it prevents many people from buying!

I received an offer via OLX system for one of the items of several thousand dollars , the buyer , She offered sight unseen the asked price and suggested to meet at a Palermo Cafe. Her assistant showed up in a rush and handled me the dollars without checking the jewelry..I examined the bills that were all brand new in a thin light green paper.! Looked very fake to me.. I suggested we go to a nearby exchange place. She refused said had no time..! So no deal.. :cool:

We had a similar episode with a camera set we are selling. It is (still) listed both on OLX and ML but I can't remember where we got contacted. She had an English name and surname, said she lived in Chile but was traveling at the moment. She wanted to buy the camera as a gift to his son as a surprise. She offered to pay with Paypal. I had already been scammed through Paypal a lot of years ago (a buyer from Canada who bought a Gucci item, paid with PayPal, I shipped the item and Paypal claimed back the money I had received because there were fraud allegation against that account. Too bad I had shipped the item about 60 days before then and I even had the tracking code and all to prove it).
So I warned my husband that it smelled fishy and to ask for a bank transfer or cash payment, instead. The scammer said she has always used PayPal. Then we were discussing about this odd request when we received a second, identical message from a different sender. Maybe it was for another object for sale on a different site. Anyway at that point there was no doubt it was a scam attempt.

---

Rich, I think you dodged a bullet (maybe literally) there! We once put up for sale an iPad. A girl contacted us to buy it. She wanted to pay in USD (!) though the listing was of course in pesos. She said she was Cuban and was new to Buenos Aires. [Cubans loaded with USD... fishy!] However she used slang words from Buenos Aires [didn't sound very Cuban].
She wanted to meet at the Palermo subway stop, which is not a nice area. So my husband offered to meet inside the nearby McDonald's. She was reluctant, she started saying she was new and didn't know the area, etc. My husband explained that it was just for safety reasons.
The next day we went to Capital, I told my husband to switch the location to Alto Palermo, exactly to 'our' coffee chat Starbucks. She said okay.
Then we waited, waited but she never arrived. We tried calling her but the phone number was off. We called through Whatsapp but she didn't pick up the call. After one hour we left.

At 9 PM she wrote to say she had her phone stolen while coming at the appointment but that she was able to find a replacement (in under 2 hours in a new city?!) and she wanted to reschedule. At around the same time we received a message though ML or OLX where another user wanted to buy the iPad. In his message he mentioned something that made us understand that he knew it was still for sale and there was no way he would had known that. We immediately removed every ad of that iPad and swore to never sell electronics again. It just draws the wrong crowd.

We had a similar episode with a camera set we are selling. It is (still) listed both on OLX and ML but I can't remember where we got contacted. She had an English name and surname, said she lived in Chile but was traveling at the moment. She wanted to buy the camera as a gift to his son as a surprise. She offered to pay with Paypal. I had already been scammed through Paypal a lot of years ago (a buyer from Canada who bought a Gucci item, paid with PayPal, I shipped the item and Paypal claimed back the money I had received because there were fraud allegation against that account. Too bad I had shipped the item about 60 days before then and I even had the tracking code and all to prove it).
So I warned my husband that it smelled fishy and to ask for a bank transfer or cash payment, instead. The scammer said she has always used PayPal. Then we were discussing about this odd request when we received a second, identical message from a different sender. Maybe it was for another object for sale on a different site. Anyway at that point there was no doubt it was a scam attempt.

---

Rich, I think you dodged a bullet (maybe literally) there! We once put up for sale an iPad. A girl contacted us to buy it. She wanted to pay in USD (!) though the listing was of course in pesos. She said she was Cuban and was new to Buenos Aires. [Cubans loaded with USD... fishy!] However she used slang words from Buenos Aires [didn't sound very Cuban].
She wanted to meet at the Palermo subway stop, which is not a nice area. So my husband offered to meet inside the nearby McDonald's. She was reluctant, she started saying she was new and didn't know the area, etc. My husband explained that it was just for safety reasons.
The next day we went to Capital, I told my husband to switch the location to Alto Palermo, exactly to 'our' coffee chat Starbucks. She said okay.
Then we waited, waited but she never arrived. We tried calling her but the phone number was off. We called through Whatsapp but she didn't pick up the call. After one hour we left.

At 9 PM she wrote to say she had her phone stolen while coming at the appointment but that she was able to find a replacement (in under 2 hours in a new city?!) and she wanted to reschedule. At around the same time we received a message though ML or OLX where another user wanted to buy the iPad. In his message he mentioned something that made us understand that he knew it was still for sale and there was no way he would had known that. We immediately removed every ad of that iPad and swore to never sell electronics again. It just draws the wrong crowd.

Unbelievable Serafina Same here I was selling a Camera and lenses and the alleged buyer said it was a birthday surprise present for his son . To ship to Lagos Nigeria it after i receive payment...! I'm scared now if I get the payment in cash and down the street Motochorros shoot me...!

ML now simply wants to keep the cash in their system as money makes money.
Using MercadoPago you can top up your mobile phone and pay for other services such as gas, electricity etc, which is a useful feature and saves a lot of hassle.
On the other hand, this monopolistic insistence on the buyer paying for the good through MercadoPago will probably become mandatory throughout in due course, but there are ways around that...

Using MercadoPago you can top up your mobile phone and pay for other services such as gas, electricity etc, which is a useful feature and saves a lot of hassle. ... Good to know. Pls. elaborate.
On the other hand, this monopolistic insistence on the buyer paying for the good through MercadoPago will probably become mandatory throughout in due course, but there are ways around that...... Good to know. Pls. elaborate.

Unlike before, nowadays there is hardly any cash and carry products.
I like to go to the vendor see what I`m buying, pick up my purchase, pay cash and go home.
Hate paying in advance sight unseen. Many problems.
· vendor doesn`t have the product, agotado, .....​
· vendor want to offer you a different product at a higher price or lower quality.​
· a moody vendor. (Currently I have a stupid vendor refusing (for 2 days) to give me the location of pick up)​
· basically you are a hostage once you pay. The buyer is in for the run around to solve any problem after you pay. Buyer is responsible to initiate an official process called reclamo and wait for 3 days for a mediator to decide what to do. Vendor doesn`t have to do a thing. As I understand it, if buyer doesn`t initiate the process within 20 days, vendor will take money by default, Buyer loses his money.​
· Hate the idea of researching and studying vendors to make a purchase. (I`m only interested in getting a product for a price )​
· Hate calification system ..... ditto reasons as above. Also I think it is wrong. Vendors do not calificar buyers, if they promptly receive their payment. (sales transactions are not dating courtships)​
·​

Using MercadoPago you can top up your mobile phone and pay for other services such as gas, electricity etc, which is a useful feature and saves a lot of hassle.
On the other hand, this monopolistic insistence on the buyer paying for the good through MercadoPago will probably become mandatory throughout in due course, but there are ways around that...

Yeahh one way around as Serafina mentioned you look for the logo or name of the sellers business Google it contact direct and pay cash as you pick it up from his place....

The web version of MercadoPago (MP) doesn't reflect the new options for paying services, only for topping up your phone or sending/receiving money PayPal style to/from an email address.
The mobile app however, allows you to pay services, top up your SUBE card, scan codes etc. Very handy, especially on the move.

A neat trick for getting the buyer to contact you direct is to include a phone number somewhere in the photo, like on a scrap of paper. Savvy ML users will pick up on that, or you ask them to look at photo number four if they ask a public question.
Sometimes sellers put measurements in their replies, carefully spaced because they're actually giving a phone number which looks like dimensions.
ML has some clever filters and crawlers, but a photo is a photo and well spaced phone numbers are just numbers.

The scoring system is a f*cking joke actually. I've had an account there for over ten years and I have a 100% negative free record as both a buyer and seller, yet they've scored me as yellow (red bad, green lovely) because I have over 20 transactions that weren't completed for whatever reason last year or even the year before. In order to improve my seemingly rubbish reputation they are suggesting that I choose to accept MP on ALL my sales, thus putting more dosh in their pockets.
It's a draconian, Soviet style system and a monopoly as I said before and don't even think about trying to talk to someone at ML. The lights are on but they're all out at the pub laughing and trying to think of new ways to screw us.

Back