whatsapp

katti

Registered
Am trying to get whatsapp in my iphone, but I am not receiving the activation code by SMS. Has anyone tried this?
what number must you give,
+54 911 XXXX XXXX, or the
+54 011 XXXX XXXX or
+54 15 XXXX XXXX
The +54 is automatic, so I tried the 1st number,... no luck.
thanks

+54 911 xxxxxxx since you'll receive it on a cellular -skipping the 15 of course- (I have an iPhone).

It might be you don't receive it because you are supposed to pay for this SMS even if you receive it.
Depending on your carrier, accepting to pay to receive SMS is an opt in or opt out option.
I didn't opt out and I can't receive SMS I would pay for (sent from Argentina or abroad), but in another thread here someone else could receive them and he did'nt do anything particular, like me, but ended up in the opposite situation.

Therefore the solution, if I'm right, for you is to call your cell company and tell them you agree to pay to receive SMS.

If it worked, please let us know (useful)

thnx, I'll check with mobistar tomorrow, will let you kno w

Problem solved, after a long visit to Movistar where they told me they didn't block anything and that I should contact costumer service of Whatsapp, which I had already done but they didn't answer my mails.

So I send them a new mail, after a week or so they answered asking what phone number I had put in, and again, after that, no reaction from them. After my 4th mail they finally send me the activation code by e-mail, and now it works perfectly!

Some VOIP providers insist that 915 is a valid prefix for Argentina mobile.

So it may be +54 915 XXXX XXXX

Apart from that, SMS might be relayed to be sent from a provider in Argentina.
In this case the +54 11 xxxx xxxx would be the way to go.

You should be able to cross out the +54 15 ... from your list since I never saw that. Seems to me that 15 is only used without country prefix. With country prefix, national calls to mobile phones in BsAs are simply +54 11 xxxx xxxx like landline phones.

Don't forget about the possibility of technical failures. I wanted to receive a text from an internet service and it did not arrive. Tried the same number format another day and it worked. It was the +54 11 xxxx xxxx format, but generally +54 9 11 xxxx xxxx is the right one.

Sometimes the situation is simply that it does not work and nobody cares. Had that with chompSMS which I now don't use any more. (posted in their forum, got referred to an e-mail address from their tech support, they never replied)

Just another example for how weird the situation is: Google Voice sometimes charges me the landline fee for calls to argentine mobile phones, sometimes they charge me the cellular number fee.

I hope that at least the first part of my post was helpful. The rest can be seen as advice on the probabilities of having success.

PS: Got one more idea. I sometimes put my Austrian chip (which I brought from home) to activate something via code I receive by SMS. Receiving texts here does not cost me anything. If your US (or wherever you are from) operator has the same conditions and you have your SIM-chip with you, you could try that. Just make sure that no data-connection is established by your iPhone because that could cost way too much. Best is disabling data-roaming via your operator's web-interface if they offer that. Of course I don't know that app so I don't know whether that is a viable solution in this individual case.

It is getting more unclear every day :

1. I activated mine with a code received by mail, as my +54 911 XXXX XXXX didn't work
2. my daughter activated it with +54 11 XXXX XXXX
3. my husband put +54 911 XXXX XXXX
4. My friend used +54 011 XXXX XXXX

So everything is possible and I guess I didn't receive the activation sms because there was a tecnical defect...

Reactions: tez
Back