When Is The Right Time To Buy A Car?

Me too. I bought my car with passport only (no DNI). Drove for years with Canadian D.L. Paid insurance with Canadian CC. But that was long time ago. As a perma-tourist then, .... I was trying to re-new my Canadian D.L. 2nd time, ... when I cam across this Forum and I was made aware that on returning back, ... it is possible to be denied re-entry to Argentina.

Thank God for my lucky stars, that I did not have an accident during all these years (I did not know what I was doing .... and no one here ever stopped me).

Traffic tickets during all my years here
  • 0 (ZERO) , ZELCH, NADA, NOTHING in Capital Federal
  • (Was towed few times for bad parking downtown ... again too few .... considering microcentro).
  • Don`t remember when last time I was stopped ... 2010 may be !!!!
  • Parking meter $1.60 pesos/hour downtown (trapitos can show you parking spots for whatever few pesos),
  • On highways to provencias, ... yes radar traps ..... you get the hefty tickets in the mail, .... but they never actually stop you. These are really painful. Each will set you back few thousand pesos.

A certificado de domicilo would only be required by migraciones if you were apply for temporary residency. It does not confer any right to stay in the country.

Okay thanks for clearing that. I thought I would need DNI to reside legally but I don't have the right to stay without it.

You will only need a criminal background check if you are applying for temporary or permanent residency and the background check must be recent (no more than 90 days old) when you apply for the residency).

I was told that if I move within the 90 day period expiration of my criminal background check that it would still be valid even if it expires as long as I don't move back in the United States or else I will have to reapply for a new criminal background check. You can't commit a crime in the United States if your not there so I guess that's what they view it as and the exit date stamp on the passport will prove validity that my exit was within that 90 day period.

I think you should be prepared to pay 50% duty on whatever migraciones says your equipment is worth when you try to bring it in with you. They might not take into account that the equipment is used. Another question is whether they will use US or Argentine prices to determine their value.

I'm willing to pay if it comes down to it. Those tools would cost twice as much or more if found in Argentina than they are here. 1,500 is worth it for me to get my job security into the country.

Are your sure that you could get a job as a migratory worker (as an air conditioning/refrigeration technician)? I thought "work visas" were given when an employer could prove that the work could not be performed by an Argentine. I have always been able to find an installer or repair technician when I've need one.

And I'm not sure how reputable their skill level is in Argentina. On another forum I was told there are no licenses to do HVAC work, no EPA (enviornmental) regulations, just pick up the tools and work. I don't know if they have the money to buy some of these test equipments needed to properly service the equipment. One can always go by rule of thumb but it's best to know exactly what's going on by puting your meter to the system for reassurance and some meters are very costly even over here.
With the company I work for we do refrigeration for MRI magnets as well as commercial rooftop units and cold storage boxes. I've done residential in past jobs but am mostly a commercial technician. There is possibility I think.

Me too. I bought my car with passport only (no DNI). Drove for years with Canadian D.L. Paid insurance with Canadian CC. But that was long time ago. As a perma-tourist then, .... I was trying to re-new my Canadian D.L. 2nd time, ... when I cam across this Forum and I was made aware that on returning back, ... it is possible to be denied re-entry to Argentina.

Thank God for my lucky stars, that I did not have an accident during all these years (I did not know what I was doing .... and no one here ever stopped me).

Traffic tickets during all my years here
  • 0 (ZERO) , ZELCH, NADA, NOTHING in Capital Federal
  • (Was towed few times for bad parking downtown ... again too few .... considering microcentro).
  • Don`t remember when last time I was stopped ... 2010 may be !!!!
  • Parking meter $1.60 pesos/hour downtown (trapitos can show you parking spots for whatever few pesos),
  • On highways to provencias, ... yes radar traps ..... you get the hefty tickets in the mail, .... but they never actually stop you. These are really painful. Each will set you back few thousand pesos.

I got an email in March this year from a rental company in Microcentro regarding a ticket on the rental car I was using. I admit maybe I was going a bit fast and enjoying my music in a lil' ol' toyota corolla haha but that fine was hefty. They charged 150 USD towards my debit card. This was in San Isidro back in January.

Back