Where to find some quality alpargatas?

CarverFan said:
what's the difference between alpargatas and espadrilles?

The name?!;) Actually, while they are super similar, I think of espadrilles as having rope soles while apargatas often have a rubber sole.

For those who haven't seen the Tom's website - www.toms.com, the company was founded by someone who visited Argentina. While the prices are crazy to me, it's pretty cool that the company donates 1 pair of shoes for every pair that's sold. Kudos to them for really giving back!

citygirl said:
The name?!;) Actually, while they are super similar, I think of espadrilles as having rope soles while apargatas often have a rubber sole.

So COMPLETELY different! ;)

citygirl said:
For those who haven't seen the Tom's website - www.toms.com, the company was founded by someone who visited Argentina. While the prices are crazy to me, it's pretty cool that the company donates 1 pair of shoes for every pair that's sold. Kudos to them for really giving back!

The "sister school" to the boys prep school I went to growing up did a deal with TOMS to offer an alternative to their Saddle Oxford shoes that have been the uniform for decades. Some of the girls I knew in high school now have daughters that attend that school.

12 months ago they thought that it was amazing that they could pay US$60 for one pair of US$15 retail shoes (PAEZ) and then TOMS would donate another pair (~US$1 manufacturing cost) to some community that doesn't wear shoes in the first place.

That thought that it was amazing that TOMS was actually selling a US$15 shoe for US$59 and then writing off US$30 (or more) for each pair as a "donation".

TOMS shoes is the biggest scam going in the US right now.

Add to that the founders recent support of the group Focus On Family, described as a "FOTF was described as a
“notorious extreme right-wing, anti-gay, anti-choice, anti-woman fundamentalist Christian group”

http://www.examiner.com/christianit...controversy-with-lgbt-community#ixzz1TmlRZnoB

...and I just can't get behind the insanity.

According to Wiki:

Alpargata is the spanish name of the catalanish espardenya, which derives from espart, the Catalan name for esparto, a tough, wiry Mediterranean grass used in making rope. Espardenyes have been made in Catalonia since the 14th century at least, and there are Catalan shops still in existence that have been making espadrilles for over a century. Traditional espardenyes have a canvas upper with the toe and vamp cut in one piece, and seamed to the rope sole at the sides. Often they would have laces at the throat that would be wrapped around the ankle to hold the shoes securely in place. Traditional espardenyes are worn by both men and women.

This shoes have also been worn by Argentine farmers for hundreds of years and were the inspiration for the classic style of TOMS. These canvas or cotton fabric shoes are now manufactured in many styles including a Wrap Boot, Stitchouts, Cordones, and Botas. The sole is constructed of rubber. TOMS offers several vegan styles as well. The company name is derived from the word "tomorrow,"and evolved from the original concept, "Shoes for Tomorrow Project."

As well as this:

[TOMS] MANUFACTURING:

According to the corporate website, TOMS currently manufactures in Argentina, China and Ethiopia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOMS_Shoes

Interesting.. didn't know that. Although it appears that Blake wound up distancing him from the FOTF group . His quote:
" Had I known the full extent of Focus on the Family’s beliefs, I would not have accepted the invitation to speak at their event. It was an oversight on my part and the company’s part and one we regret. In the last 18 months we have presented at over 70 different engagements and we do our best to make sure we choose our engagements wisely, on this one we chose poorly.

Furthermore, contrary to what has been reported, Focus on the Family is not a TOMS giving partner. So there is no misunderstanding created by this mistake, let me clearly state that both TOMS, and I as the founder, are passionate believers in equal human and civil rights for all. That belief is a core value of the company and of which we are most proud
."

As for the rest - of course they are a business and out to make money. And taking a $6 pair of shoes and selling it for $60 is a business coup - much like Starbucks did to coffee. As an evil capitalist, I give them respect ;) And maybe it's not the most perfect solution but having donated a million pairs of shoes in a few years is still a start to being a socially responsible company.

citygirl said:
As for the rest - of course they are a business and out to make money. And taking a $6 pair of shoes and selling it for $60 is a business coup - much like Starbucks did to coffee. As an evil capitalist, I give them respect ;) And maybe it's not the most perfect solution but having donated a million pairs of shoes in a few years is still a start to being a socially responsible company.

I think that I'm just pissed that my many dumb friends aren't saying:

"Hey, this TOMS jackass is charging US$60 for one pair of shoes. How about you bring us 3 pairs next time you come home, we'll keep two, give one to charity, and then you can pocket the remaining US$15 on each bundle of 3 you bring.

Hell, bring about 60 pairs in a suitcase and you'll walk away with an extra US$300 towards your plane ticket."

:mad:

citygirl said:
...As for the rest - of course they are a business and out to make money. And taking a $6 pair of shoes and selling it for $60 is a business coup - much like Starbucks did to coffee. As an evil capitalist, I give them respect ;) And maybe it's not the most perfect solution but having donated a million pairs of shoes in a few years is still a start to being a socially responsible company.

What dismays me - not about TOMS or companies like them but about their detractors - is how easily they criticise businesses that stand out as trying to be socially responsible by saying stuff like 'Yeah, well, if you call yourself ethical you ought to be doing more.' Which usually translates roughly into: you shouldn't be making any profit/you should be giving me more free stuff. Meanwhile, the millions of businesses that don't give a !*$$ about fair trade or the environment quietly get on with taking money off people any way they can and nobody even murmurs in dissent.

When you leave town (where everyone wears them), you pay about 14$ for alpargatas, so honestly, I don't really care about the quality. (Although they survive the washing machine once every month so i suppose they are quite strong.)
Alpargatas are the cheap version of espadrilles, with a plastic sole instead of the rope (and the thin rubber layer under it). Espadrilles cost 14€. That's more then 6x the price.
I got some espadrilles for my son in Europe, as he forgot his alpargatas in argentina, so in a couple of months I will be able to say if the quality of an espadrille is better then an alpargata, but I doubt it is. :eek:

Back