Where to life in greater BSAS

Gated communities sound nice at first, but they are not so safe as the developers say they are, and they don´t have the small suburban shops were your butcher and your pizza/empanada man knows what you like, the local coffee-shop or the local bookstore. And your children will interact with only one class of people, and servants (sorry, house "helpers" and security guards). You still can have the high class connections in the club, without the need to see them or have them whisper about what happens in house X or Y every time you get out to your lawn.

marksoc said:
Gated communities sound nice at first, but they are not so safe as the developers say they are, and they don´t have the small suburban shops were your butcher and your pizza/empanada man knows what you like, the local coffee-shop or the local bookstore. And your children will interact with only one class of people, and servants (sorry, house "helpers" and security guards). You still can have the high class connections in the club, without the need to see them or have them whisper about what happens in house X or Y every time you get out to your lawn.

Kind of agree..we rented a summer house in a gated community for 6 months and found the least friendly people in Bsas..it was all about what car you drove, what job the husband had (forget being a working woman!"), no local shops as marksoc says..and my son was in the summer school and they really didnt look after him in the sun so he was violently ill with sunstroke...regular life in Caballito is 10000 times more real, more community focused and friendly ...but then I also have a friend who lives in a less upmarket gated community (Maschwitz) and she has really close friends and a community spirit..it's very subjective but gated community isnt really more safe or more friendly per se...

fifs2 said:
starlucia said:
When are you planning to move? We have a house with a killer garden and pool located in Zona Sur: http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/sub/2464072610.html

Lovely pool & garden..now thats value for money that still makes Bsas competitive.

Thanks for the offer. The area sounds interesting and the house looks nice, but we will only move Aug 2012. Let me know by May 2012 if it's still available.

fifs2 said:
Kind of agree..we rented a summer house in a gated community for 6 months and found the least friendly people in Bsas..it was all about what car you drove, what job the husband had (forget being a working woman!"), no local shops as marksoc says..and my son was in the summer school and they really didnt look after him in the sun so he was violently ill with sunstroke...regular life in Caballito is 10000 times more real, more community focused and friendly ...but then I also have a friend who lives in a less upmarket gated community (Maschwitz) and she has really close friends and a community spirit..it's very subjective but gated community isnt really more safe or more friendly per se...

Okay, this sounds that we mustn't look specifically for a gated community. Still wonder if there is any specific area you would recommend me.

TXS

marksoc said:

Yes, they're also like a shopping mall for thieves. Why mess around robbing random houses in the suburbs when you know where all the good stuff is stashed? That security guard you think is going to keep the "riff raff" out is paid horribly and probably is in on it because he needs the extra cash! :D

Back