where to live? (mid 20s)

BaggyWaters

Registered
Hello all,
As you can see I am new to the forum, thats in part because I have not yet arrived in BA. I am a 24 year old from Seattle who will be traveling with my brother trough parts of South America in a few weeks. We are going to be in BA for a few months and I was wondering where the best neighborhood to stay would be for people in our age range. We like going out in all forms offered, any thing from coffee or drinks to art or yoga. So far I have gathered Palermo or San Telmo might be best? Does this sound right? Is there a part of Palermo that would be better for our age range?
Thanks,
Joe

Guys the best area for your age range will be in Ciudadela, Barrio Ejército de los Andes, better known as Fuerte Apache a very nice posh and safe neighborhood, Carlitos Tevez grow up there.

Now seriously guys the areas in green are close the the center of the city, areas marked in white. Any area in white or green will be okay except Constitucionn, Balvanera and San Cristobal no that good, they are close to all amenities sought by to be tourist

buenosairescityneighbou.jpg

I would say the best place for this age demographic is Palermo or Las Canitas. If you are interested in clubs, bars and restaurants, I would consider Palermo Hollywood and Las Canitas.

@Lucas, I have lived for two years right along the border of San Cristobal and Balvanera (Independencia) and spent a lot of my day in Balvanera. With the exception of barrio Once, I would say San Cristobal and Balvanera are great places to live if you want to save money and Spanish is not a problem for you. Though, I agree...even I would not live in Constitucion if I could help it!

Sure, my neighborhood is a bajón, but I can live on 400 dollars a month. Try doing that in Palermo! I love my neighborhood - cheap gym, cheap mercado, casi nada de chetos, jiji.

Palermo and Belgrano and Recoleta and even Caballito and Villa Crespo are much prettier neighborhoods and much, much, much more well traversed by folks from abroad, so there are many great recommendations as well as great establishments for food and drink and travelers. Palermo and Recoleta are close to beautiful green spaces. San Telmo is super quaint and foreigner-partier-friendly. Plus, you will find more short-term rentals in these places. If you are here for a short time only, I agree, better to be closer to the action and pay a little more for it.

It depends on what you're looking for! San Telmo is "happening" in a lot of ways, but it's an island in a lot of other ways (in terms of orientation to other parts of the city) and it is very touristy & dirty. I looked for other neighborhoods after living there for a couple of months, but many of my (expat) friends live down there long term. I personally like living in a more "real" barrio than Palermo or Telmo. Personally my favorite barrio to have lived in is Almagro. It's an old tango neighborhood with tons of great little bars, lots of live music, etc., but it's also connected to the subtes and bus transport. Close to pretty much everything, I definitely recommend it. If you take a closer look at that map up there, bordering the green area are Villa Crespo and Chacaritas are also nice neighborhoods that are close to everything. I love Chacaritas, personally, and would move there in a heartbeat (or back to Almagro) if I weren't tied into a lease. These latter areas are going to be more affordable, and aren't going to be overloaded with tourists, but you won't be able to walk straight out your door and find stuff going on--you'd have to travel a little bit (but not far). Again, depends on what you're looking for. For the record I live in Caballito at the moment and wouldn't recommend it for you. Good luck, and have fun! (I miss Seattle!)

I say go for the place on Guemes y Gallo. It's a good location (in my opinion, although others might say different.) You have the main avenue Santa Fe close by, and the Aguero subway stop for line D should be right on Santa Fe very close to there. The D line is the most useful subway line in Buenos Aires it will really help you get around to be close to it. Also, I could be wrong, but I think that's a fairly safe location and it's pretty too.

Back