Who Does Pasta Belong To?

"Who does pasta belong to, Argentina or Italy?"... Pfffft! :rolleyes:

Lest we forget: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/4-000-year-old-noodles-found-in-china
That is why this article is interesting. It does not get into any old old arguments about the Origins of pasta, even with the unfortunate headline indictating that topic. It is a long form story describing how unique the pasta is here in Argentina, and the reasons why the recipes might have changed since the arrival of Italian immigrants.

My answer was gonna be the Chinese, but more relevant to the topic at hand, it's a shame carbonara isn't as popular here, same with alfredo; they've always been my favorites.

Argetninan Pasta dishes are a mix of Cucina Napolitana, Milanesa , Scicilian, etc . Plus local versions of Italian dishes. In short it's like Tex-Mex.

I’m pretty sure Alfredo sauce is just as Italian as a milanesa a la napolitana.
I thought so too, but apparently it's not an American bastardization:

Modern fettuccine Alfredo was invented by Alfredo Di Lelio in Rome. According to family accounts, in 1892 Alfredo Di Lelio began to work in a restaurant that was located in piazza Rosa and run by his mother Angelina. Di Lelio invented "fettuccine al triplo burro" (later named "fettuccine all'Alfredo" or "fettuccine Alfredo") in 1907 or 1908 in an effort to entice his wife, Ines, to eat after giving birth to their first child Armando. Alfredo added extra butter or "triplo burro" to the fettuccine when mixing it together for her. Piazza Rosa disappeared in 1910 following the construction of the Galleria Colonna/Sordi, and the restaurant was forced to close. Di Lelio later opened his own restaurant, Alfredo alla Scrofa, then called "Alfredo", in 1914 on the via della Scrofa in central Rome.

The thing I find most interesting about this is the Cultural Drift. To me, Cultural Drift is Sacred Drift- that is, the new things that are inadvertantly invented by the constant mixing of cultures in the modern world are wonderful, and, in a way, "sacred".
I dont care if the pasta here is not "authentic", I am much more interested in what it IS than what it ISNT.
And I eat a lot of it.
And if I ever get to Italy again, I will eat a lot of it there.
Meanwhile, there is Porteno Ramen to discover.
The greeks were sure that My Big Fat Greek Wedding was insult comedy when they saw it, as the US Greeks had drifted so far, and invented their own hybrid culture.
This happens again and again around the world, and the results are often quite delicious.
The "hard" taco does not exist in Mexico- its an american invention, and the Cesear Salad is from Tijuana.

Back