Whole Sale Stores

Parvati

Registered
Hello All,
I need the equivalent to Costco or Sam's Club in Buenos Aires. I am organizing a kiddie birthday party and the prices are insane, to my standards. Catring, entretainment, decortations... wow. These are big events here. Also, the list of class mates, friends, siblings and neighbors escalates fast. This things bubble up like CocaCola with Menthos am trying to tone down things, and still have a party. So, I am doing most of the work, and whole sale prices and amounts will help a lot. Any suggestions?
Thanks in avdanced
Pato

Wholesale prices don't exist like they do in the US unfortunately.

I do most of my big shopping at Makro. Which you need a membership for but I think individuals can get membership (we have it in the biz name). They sell more basic brands and in bigger quantities so it works out if you need a lot of stuff. I tend to buy brands like "Cunnington Light" instead of Diet Coke or Aro or Makro brand products. I don't buy the meat there though, go to my local butcher for that as the quality is really good and the prices are about equivalent.

They def sell things like plastic cups, napkins, etc at makro as well.

Another option is the "vital" chain. Similar to macro.
A lot of my friends do cheap birthday parties by buying pre-pizzas from bakeries or supermarkets and them just heating them up with cheese on top.

You can try Diarco also (there's one in Capital, although in a so-so barrio: Barracas):
http://diarco.com.ar/sucursales.php

Thank you City Girl and Montauk,
I do need a lot of paper and plastic products. I will look for alternative brands, and start stalking up on pre-pizzas and hotdogs. I was hoping on getting a Costco kind of cake, though. :) I know it is full of chemicals and oli, but I love it. Can eat the whole thing my self.

As far as plastic silverware, plates, cups, and party decorations try walking around Once. I don't remember which street in Once, but if you ask anyone in that area where all the cotillones are they'll tell you. Be aware of candy priced at a discount rate or 2 x 1. It's most likely old and stale and impossible to get the paper off. Parties are really expensive in BA. My friend just spent $100,000 on his daughter's 15th birthday party and that's what a typical middle class family spends on quinceanera parties.

There's a wholesale store on Larrea, between Mitre & Perón called "Casa Jujuy". They have some food & candy items, but they have tons of toys, pens, magic markers, paper goods, you name it all at probably 50% less than everywhere else in Buenos Aires. There is usually a line you have to wait on to get inside, but it's worth it. There are many other stores around the area that sell wholesale stuff too, but this is the best one. For food go to any Día supermarket and stock up on Pizza items, sauce, cheese, much cheaper than everywhere else.

There's a wholesale store on Larrea, between Mitre & Perón called "Casa Jujuy". They have some food & candy items, but they have tons of toys, pens, magic markers, paper goods, you name it all at probably 50% less than everywhere else in Buenos Aires. There is usually a line you have to wait on to get inside, but it's worth it. There are many other stores around the area that sell wholesale stuff too, but this is the best one. For food go to any Día supermarket and stock up on Pizza items, sauce, cheese, much cheaper than everywhere else.

Since the OP might not know that, David used to have a candy store so this place is likely excellent

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Expat Life 2
internationalguy Expat Life 8
S Expat Life 0
C Expat Life 13
V Food and Drink 0
Back