Why are Argentines so Angry?

soul

Registered
Why are Argentines so Angry? I used to think it was just me who thought this, but after being here for 6 months and speaking to plenty of locals and foreigners (like myself, from the USA).... I have concluded that this city, generally speaking, is very ANGRY. Mostly the women in the 28 - 58 range, but the men as well. So sad....

Cheer up Argentines!!!

are they? in london there's a rage going on; paris as well... hmmm, big city thing perhaps?
Try the campo - i did not meet any angry people there yet

The question is leading. Argentines are no more angry than anyone else. Been to Europe lately? The Middle East? Alabama?
... Please...

The streets of Buenos Aires - or those of any major city for that matter - are generally speaking no place to make friends. People - especially women, perhaps - are on guard. Perhaps the more mature women seem to be "angry" when they are only looking out for themselves after years of experience navigating the streets of Capital.

Guaranteed - if you were to meet these women in another setting like a dinner party or a kid's birthday - 90% of them would be as sweet as they can be.

Personally, I think BA is alright compared to most places. I moved here from Berlin. Things are a little more "angry" on the streets there, trust me.

Campo is a totally different story. Strangers in little pueblos are much much more welcoming because the threat is greatly reduced.

soul said:
Why are Argentines so Angry? I used to think it was just me who thought this, but after being here for 6 months and speaking to plenty of locals and foreigners (like myself, from the USA).... I have concluded that this city, generally speaking, is very ANGRY. Mostly the women in the 28 - 58 range

Wow I thought it was just my wife that was the angry Argentine. I will have to ask her if it is the way she is or just the way she is with me.

Seriously, they are a passionate people and I dont understand all they are saying. Sometimes, I think my lovely wife was very upset with her mother on the phone and they were just yelling about a tv show.

But the volume and intensity of the conversations really make me think people are going to come to blows sometimes.

soul said:
Why are Argentines so Angry? I used to think it was just me who thought this, but after being here for 6 months and speaking to plenty of locals and foreigners (like myself, from the USA).... I have concluded that this city, generally speaking, is very ANGRY. Mostly the women in the 28 - 58 range, but the men as well. So sad....

Cheer up Argentines!!!

Argentines are so angry because of the frustrations involved with everyday activities. It is a very difficult place to get anything done. All services are impossible to deal with even the simpliest request. Why do you think the number of pyscho therapists is so high? I am suprised that the level of crime is as low as it is :). To get anything done takes triple the amount of time that it would take any place else. No wonder they are so angry!!

Its not black & white. Every big city has a lot of hostility on the street due to bad drivers, dog shit, rude pedestrians, and all the other crap. I don't think people in Bs. As. are worse than what I dealt with living in Boston or D.C., or visiting NYC, London, and a bunch of others. Argentians are cynical and frustrated with their decaying country and culture, they hate nearly all politicians, they hate US and Eureopean foreign policy, they hate the multinationals that strip out the natural resources and send them north.

On the other hand, as Stafford said, most of these people are much more pleasant in social situations. And people outside of the province are much more relaxed and outgoing. I have many examples of how kind and generous people with are with strangers outside of the capital. Most recently, when the waitress at a hotel I was staying at in Corrientes found out I was in town looking for a house to rent she insisted that I speak to her husband. Enrique isn't a real estate agent, nor does he own any houses up there, but he spent several hours helping me to look at places and negotiate a deal with the agent for the place I settled on. He saved me 500 pesos per month by getting rid of the gringo tax! He insisted that I pay him nothing, and wants to pick me and the family up at the airport when we return.

I am local and I have to admit that people do not look happy lately, but hey, if you read the news you would figure out why :p I am in my mid 30´s and I take everything with a pinch of humor, but apparently it is not everybody, but it is both guys and women equally.

Buenos Aires is the City of Fury. In no other place have I met so many bitter, unhappy, paranoid, suspicious, on-their-guard people. Their prematurely aged faces, edged by frustration, military coups, daily disappointments, scrambling for coins, years of holding their money up to a light and shaking it because they can never trust its not fake, and belching city buses and shocking street level pollution, both air and noise, speak volumes. If Buenos Aires were a book, Id put it back on the shelf and stop reading.

Back