Why are the Ramones so huge in Argentina?

Pescado Rabioso was pre-Junta. They split in 73. Check your dates.
While nobody said Rock Nacional wasn`t prog, I would definitely say quite the opposite. It has always been that way.

Also, please do not mix and match my paragraphs to suit your POV.
What I said about black music was we LISTENED to a lot of it. Lots of people are familiar with Diana Ross, Barry White, Minnie Ripperton, Commodores, Temptations, Donna Summer, Aretha, etc. and a bunch of others even if they are not familiar with their names or discography.. Influence? We don`t need no stinking influence!

UP TO THE MID 70`s.

Disco sucks.

As per Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, they were a thing of the past by the early 90`s.

You wouldn`t be wrong stating that Marley was also a Brit rock import, followed closely by the british ska bands like Specials and Madness. We are talking 80`s here.

Iz

The Ramones are a big classic here yes. They visited numerous times and were always very nice to their fans and one of them had an Argentine gf. Iggy Pop is also cherished, he had an Argentine gf years ago and could be spotted sitting out by his doorstep in La Boca. I would think that people are very fond of them because they adopted ( and lived ) in Arg, like one of our own.

Up until the early 90s it was all about British music here in all its varieties. Local bands always had their place as well. It was mostly American heavy metal bands that were big and of course MJ and Madonna. After Nirvana American music became much more popular here.

But, but , but what about Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks?
I have never met an Argentine Dan Hicks fan. I have played Dan Hicks for some Argentines, but it doesnt translate well. I saw them live, as long ago as 1970, they were great, the original lineup with Sid Page and the Hickettes.

I have never met an Argentine Dan Hicks fan. I have played Dan Hicks for some Argentines, but it doesnt translate well. I saw them live, as long ago as 1970, they were great, the original lineup with Sid Page and the Hickettes.
Yes, my post was more than a little tongue in cheek.:)

In terms of number of concerts played, records sold, and provable markers of popularity, The Ramones were actually bigger in Japan, or England, or Italy, than they were in Argentina. Which is not to say that Argentines dont love the Ramones, just that many other countries which the average Argentine has not visited, loved them just as much.

To me, the funny thing is how the Ramones were, initially, an anti-establishment fringe band that offended almost everybody- and yet, in Argentina, are considered sort of lovable boy versions of the Spice Girls.
Dee Dee, for example, was a heroin addict pretty much all his life, and died of an overdose.
Just like Sporty Spice...

I bought the first album when it came out in 1976. When ever I would play it, people would leave the room.
I saw them play live probably 4 or 5 times between then and maybe, 84..
In each case, it was to tiny crowds in small dingy halls- the first time, maybe 300 people, in an old bingo hall in Seattle.
I think the last time I saw them play live was at Al's Bar in LA, a notorious dive, and it still was a small intimate show.

They were offensive, nasty, and reviled by radio in those days. "PUNK" actually meant something.
They were also kind of simplistic and dumb, and very basic musicians, compared to the other bands on the scene in those days.

I think the Ramones biggest achievement was how they transformed themselves from drug addicts, teenage thieves, and seedy characters, into global cartoon icons of mindless happy teen anthems.
We certainly didnt see that coming at those early punk shows.

Back