Why do people without work visas think they can come here and find work?

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, perhaps they do that because this is a civilized country where they don t trat you as a convicted criminal if you work without a legal permit.

By the way, Argentina is now expensive, it means that now it might be a better busisness to make money in Argentina instead of spending it here, this is the ABC of immigration.

Regards

Uh..... I know Fabe already said something similar, but I think you're kind of overlooking the way Peruvians, Bolivians and Paraguayans are often viewed in Argentina. Although, if by "civilized" you mean following European norms and customs, then you could be right.

JoeBlow said:
Uh..... I know Fabe already said something similar, but I think you're kind of overlooking the way Peruvians, Bolivians and Paraguayans are often viewed in Argentina. Although, if by "civilized" you mean following European norms and customs, then you could be right.

in fact, deportation of mercosur citizens is forbidden by the law. The only requirement for them is to evidence they were born in mercosur and they have a clean criminal record and they get a working permit.

In fact, i was refering about immigrants from china and europe who come here looking for a job or better payment. While in china they work for 30 dollars like slaves, here they make no less than 1.500 up to 10.000 usd. While chinese are the new richs, Spaniards are the new poors. I read about that in clarin today, excellent article.

And no, when i say civilized i mean that we are beyond european rule regarding immigration rights. Here you have rights because you are a human being. Here the genocidals are in jail while in Spain they prosecute the judge who was investigating the crimes commited during franquismo.

Regards

fifs2 said:
I think it's cute actually! Most are young, idealistic and think they're special and the world will too..that's the wonderful part of being a kid. They've read too much Paul Theroux, imagine a world before budget airtravel and think speaking English is a wonderful and unique skill.
Let them be, let them try. The best will succeed and the rest will learn about life and planning as Fabe says.

lol the younger they are the less I suspect they have even HEARD of Paul Theroux! (ie Who? oh... uh yeah... I think we read something by him in Lit 101... Waldo's Pond?). More likely most of these kids have been convinced by their helicopter parents that they truly are a special little gem that the world beyond will embrace. These are not for the most part backpackers who realise that getting a job in a bar will be about as high as they go, they are people that truly think their Major in Geography with a Minor in Latin American lit are going to blow away the HR teams of Buenos Aires and have them earning moolah muy rapido

(btw I do know P Theroux, Pillars of Hercules was the last one I read though, a long time ago when I was also an idealistic young backpacker instead of the jaded semi-Argentine I am these days ;D)

Being one of these people, I think I can explain why. First of all, as Milly mentioned, you can arrive on a tourist visa and switch to a work visa without leaving the country, and for obvious reasons, it's easier to take a temporary job teaching English and job search in the city rather than online from abroad. Also the company would have to do a lot more legwork to bring someone from abroad, whereas the job seeker can do it being here. So logistically, depending on one's timeline, coming here on a tourist visa can make sense. I think this is very different than coming here expecting a job to be waiting, not speaking Spanish or having marketable skills.

And a message for other young expats and for EMPLOYERS, at the risk of sounding ridiculous: it is not that difficult to get a work visa. It is tedious and takes a lot of paperwork and waiting (welcome to South America), but this is nothing compared to the kind of strict qualifications and quotas surrounding North American work visas. The employer only has to sign a pre-contract that is not even a binding employment contract. So I think it's equally ridiculous that so many employers create a chicken and egg problem by refusing to even consider people without a DNI in hand.

syngirl said:
lol the younger they are the less I suspect they have even HEARD of Paul Theroux! (ie Who? oh... uh yeah... I think we read something by him in Lit 101... Waldo's Pond?). More likely most of these kids have been convinced by their helicopter parents that they truly are a special little gem that the world beyond will embrace. These are not for the most part backpackers who realise that getting a job in a bar will be about as high as they go, they are people that truly think their Major in Geography with a Minor in Latin American lit are going to blow away the HR teams of Buenos Aires and have them earning moolah muy rapido

(btw I do know P Theroux, Pillars of Hercules was the last one I read though, a long time ago when I was also an idealistic young backpacker instead of the jaded semi-Argentine I am these days ;D)

haha syngirl love it "More likely most of these kids have been convinced by their helicopter parents that they truly are a special little gem that the world beyond will embrace"

you know me too well as an oldie, the idealistic young fool arriving in Sudan circa 1997, Paul Theroux fan with Arabic degree in tow thinking I was the bees knees and expecting the HR teams of Khartoum to be wowed and me earning moolah muy rapido....it kinda worked out in the end more by luck than design. Still a Theroux fan, working backwards now to My Other Life..brilliant!

sivan said:
im really not trying to be antagonistic and i apologize if i offend anyone but i am really curious as to why people with no work visa (and often no spanish!) think they can arrive in argentina and find a job.
I don't understand! In America we have 25 million people with no work papers and very little knowledge of the English language.

cruizes said:
I don't understand! In America we have 25 million people with no work papers and very little knowledge of the English language.

25 Mio who can't sleep at night fearing they might be arrested, put in jail and deported, separated from their families, etc.
Argentina might have a lot of cons, but seriously, even with all racism towards Bolivians, Peruvians, etc (which, by the way, is also the case in the US towards Mexicans, Central Americans...Argentines?), illegal immigrants in Argentina have a LOT less to fear than illegal immigrants in the USA.
Have you ever heard of an illegal immigrant in Argentina being detained, put in jail or deported? I haven't.

Mercosur citizens need a residencia precaria to get a CUIT or CUIL.

Bajo_cero2 said:
in fact, deportation of mercosur citizens is forbidden by the law. The only requirement for them is to evidence they were born in mercosur and they have a clean criminal record and they get a working permit.

Back