Why not an LTH forum for BA?

Mattea

Registered
I live in Milwaukee, 90 miles N. of Chicago, and love to visit the ethnic restaurants in Chicago. I've been guided in searching for small, good, cheap restaurants by the LTH forum (LTH=Little Three Happiness, a chinese restaurant on Cermak). LTH recommendations often contain some pictures and an account of the restaurant. My latest find was the Jibek Jolu, which offers Kyrgyzstani cuisine. Yum.

Type in 'LTH forum' and 'Jibek Jolu' to see an example.

Could BA expats create a similar forum for BA? Hopefully, by November, by which time I may be in BA.

I'd recommend 'Status' near the congreso, for Peruvian food. Alas, no pictures.

you might find this site helpful once you are in town - http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/, if you know Spanish. I just finished reading a thread on here about Peruvian restaurants, so why not type in Status to get the page with the info and reviews for that resto and see what you think.

Otherwise, you can always use the search function on this site to find threads about certain types of food, resto recommendations, etc. in addition to the Food and Drink forum on this site.

buen provecho!

Nice to see another Wisconsinite coming down to BA (I'm from Mequon). In my years down here, I've never run into a fellow cheesehead.

Lala is right, guiaoleo.com.ar is definitely the best site to check out for a complete listing of restaurants in BA.

Ah, ha, a Mequonite. I live just W. of UWM. Thirteen of us local tangueros came down about 7 years ago, I think. I've been back four times since then. I'm familiar with the guiaoleo but the LTH forum does something special--it collects recommendations for the small but great neighborhood restaurants in one spot. I've never been mislead yet anytime when I used it. Status was a recommendation by my tango teacher, Nina Tatarowicz, who will be visiting BA at the end of Nov.

Wow, seems like you are certainly hooked on Argentina!

So the Riverwest or Shorewood area I assume? Those were my stomping-grounds back in my UWM days.

I checked out LTH - saw a bunch of recommendations for WI restaurants. Got a little misty-eyed and nostalgic. I just may have to check a few of the places out when I head back for a visit in December.

Anyways, have a great time here in November!

I'm still in Milwaukee but just barely--3429 N. Newhall. My backyard is on Cambridge, so I have direct access to the bike trail. Yes, I like BA, but I don't want to come alone this time, so I am asking people in the local tango community to see if anyone can come with me. Those with the money don't have the leisure; those with the leisure don't have the money. I'm hoping to find accommodation in San Telmo, where I left a bicycle with my tango teachers on Chacabuco for a future visit.

Personal recommendations if you do get back to Wi. and Chicago--Podhalanka for Polish; Afghan Kebab for Afgan, Maza for (expensive) Lebanese; Taste of Lebanon for cheap but good Lebanese; Cho Sun Ok for Korean; Ken Kee in Chinatown for good Chinese.

Oh, and by the way, have you tried the Japanese restaurant in the Japanese Association on Independencia? No frozen fish for their sashimi there; cut right off the fish flown in from Peru.

Dan Perlman has reviewed a dozens and dozens of restaurants on his website-
http://www.saltshaker.net/restaurant-reviews

seems like that would be one place to start.

Also, I have enjoyed eating my way thru this little book-
http://www.littlebookroom.com/authenticbuenosaires.html

buy it in the US- its easy to get it online, and study up.

thats 70 more places to try.

Time out has another 150 or so restaurants.
http://www.timeout.com/buenos-aires/search/tag/4256/restaurants-cafes

and there are already several threads here with dozens more restaurants mentioned and discussed.

In Milwaukee, I like me some of that Corned Beef from the drawer under the counter at Jakes, on North Avenue. Heart Attack on rye...

Back