Why this huge discrepancy in ARS exchange rates?

Worth remembering that it was Macri who re-introduced the exchange controls near the end of his term, and that they were more stringent that those of the preceding government. During his government, the peso devalued faster than ever - by 500% in 4 years - so it was hardly a 'normal' currency.
Because he had all but lost the election and the country was freaking out at what was to come. He should left the controls off.

If the current government would quit messing with the exchange rates to hide the inflation this would be much worse.

The official peso rate is a fantasy.

obviously: the €/$ rate is 1=1.16

Obviously: I'm well aware, if you had read the post above mine you'd know I was referring to Pierre Smith's error, he confused the Dollar and Euro rates.

Worth remembering that it was Macri who re-introduced the exchange controls near the end of his term, and that they were more stringent that those of the preceding government. During his government, the peso devalued faster than ever - by 500% in 4 years - so it was hardly a 'normal' currency.
you are completely insane if you think macri caused this whole situation, or has anything to do with why the country is where it is now

3407336w1033.jpg

That's in Uruguay, I'm assuming. It doesn't really mean that they will take your pesos for $0. It is usually something exchange agencies do to indicate their lack of willingness to exchange that currency. But if you actually go inside, they should give you an exchange rate of $0.05-$0.10 pesos uruguayos for your Argentine pesos. Still extremely low.

Back