Will the Border be closed for the rest of the year?

Even with a dollar income, daily life in the US is easier than here.

Life in Buenos Aires means no reliable mail, no libraries, no Amazon, Target or Walmart - going through endless TRAMITES to get things done, and double-checking every bill for errors. Not being able to leave a single package in a parked car without fear of getting a window broken, and finding the package gone.

The only advantage - and a great one, at that - is having household help, inexpensive and reliable here.
You’ve been lucky enough for them to be reliable? Sadly I’ve experienced three cleaners here who totally haven’t cleaned the place at all. I just gave up, assuming I wasn’t going to find a reliable cleaner, but maybe you’ve given me new hope!

Even with a dollar income, daily life in the US is easier than here.

Life in Buenos Aires means no reliable mail, no libraries, no Amazon, Target or Walmart - going through endless TRAMITES to get things done, and double-checking every bill for errors. Not being able to leave a single package in a parked car without fear of getting a window broken, and finding the package gone.

The only advantage - and a great one, at that - is having household help, inexpensive and reliable here.
I have to be honest with you ...

In either country (ARG / USA) I don't use traditional mail for anything of any importance, I never use the library as it has been replaced by the internet ... You do have me with AMZN though! WMT has a presence in Argentina so that is equal ... and I never shop at TGT. Lastly, it is dumb to leave anything in a parked car anywhere. But I would have to admit, that a parked car in EE UU is infinitely safer unattended than in ARG. As for house services, I prefer to do it myself ... I am hands on.

It's a tough one at best for me ...

I think ARG is a walk in the park if a person is amply funded and looking to live a simple life. If you have big plans to be very active and want it all ... the EE UU is the better choice. You made good points though ...

I have to be honest with you ...

In either country (ARG / USA) I don't use traditional mail for anything of any importance, I never use the library as it has been replaced by the internet ... You do have me with AMZN though! WMT has a presence in Argentina so that is equal ... and I never shop at TGT. Lastly, it is dumb to leave anything in a parked car anywhere. But I would have to admit, that a parked car in EE UU is infinitely safer unattended than in ARG. As for house services, I prefer to do it myself ... I am hands on.

It's a tough one at best for me ...

I think ARG is a walk in the park if a person is amply funded and looking to live a simple life. If you have big plans to be very active and want it all ... the EE UU is the better choice. You made good points though ...
And another thing ... I would think hard and twice before buying an expensive automobile in ARG, let alone using it there. It's a bulls eye for criminals to find you by. In EE UU it is very common to drive whatever and be completely ignored. FYI >>> I am thinking exotic Italian sports cars not a BMW or Mercedes sedan of higher value.

If you earn dollars, Argentina is fairly easy. However, On the Brink is right about some luxuries. Amazon deliveries here remain unreliable, try buying a desk top PC like an iMac on amazon to be delivered here. Walmart is a completely different thing in Argentina so I get the point.

And, even a high end BMW or Mercedes would put you at risk here.

If you earn dollars, Argentina is fairly easy. However, On the Brink is right about some luxuries. Amazon deliveries here remain unreliable, try buying a desk top PC like an iMac on amazon to be delivered here. Walmart is a completely different thing in Argentina so I get the point.

And, even a high end BMW or Mercedes would put you at risk here.
And that is because so many people have nothing. And no hope to ever get anything I may add.

In forty years in the States, my car was never broken into. Despite having packages and even suitcases in plain sight.

In Argentina, my car was broken into four times in six years, to steal the spare tire. I don't drive luxury cars but average minivans - first a Chevrolet Zafira, and later its replacement, a Rav4. Now I leave the spare tire at home unless going on a road trip.

As for WalMart, I visited the local store in high hopes and was sorely disappointed - it is nothing like the ones in the US. Just like another Carrefour.

Last edited:
The Walmarts are not even comparable. The one I went to in AR looked like it was going out of business. There was no stock on the shelves and they have one credit card reader for the whole store.

Back