Will tv work from the US work here?

Does anybody know why this would happen? I have an LCD TV that I had sent from the US and it works but everything is black and white (I feel like I am back in the 70s again) no color at all. But everything else works. I didn't need a transformer either, the TV is plugged directly into the outlet with a plug converter as it said on the back of the case that it works with dual voltage 110/220.

Davidglen77 said:
Does anybody know why this would happen? I have an LCD TV that I had sent from the US and it works but everything is black and white (I feel like I am back in the 70s again) no color at all. But everything else works. I didn't need a transformer either, the TV is plugged directly into the outlet with a plug converter as it said on the back of the case that it works with dual voltage 110/220.

It's black & white because your TV is PAL but the Argentine standard is PAL-N.

You could try to get a converter for the TV. They exist, but I've never heard anyone having much luck. You'll have to check that with your own TV & the converter.

Since it's an LCD TV it's like a computer screen and most of these types of electronics are dual voltage.

Well, we all complain about different TV standards, regions for DVD, voltages, kinds of plugs for electrical outlets, because every country in the world loves to impose their very own - and probably prevent the guys on the other side of the border to watch the programs... I recall the PAL broadcasts in West Berlin, but East Berlin did work with SECAM standards - Here around, Uruguay, Paraguay have PAL-N like Argentina, but Bolivia and Chile use NTSC like the USA...

Do not worry, DVD of movies are quickly copied and standards changed to be compatible for sale in other parts of the world by the traffickers of illegal copies.

So, is everybody happy about international standards...? - Now let us talk about LHD and RHD for cars - or the railroad track gages in the world, even for tracks within one same country like here in Argentina... Ridiculous complications.

Nowadays, if I need to buy something new - I buy locally. Finished the headaches...!

Best regards -

A TV from the the U.S. will work fine if you subscribe to Direct TV whose signal is NTSC. Also DVD's can come in both PAL and NTSC formats so a multi-region dvd player may not solve all the problems.

You will find that SAP often does work here, since there is no rule that says
broadcasters must carry it. Oh well, welcome to South America!!!

RR

tod said:
it does not have the SAP feature

Are you sure? If it doesn't have an SAP function button on the remote you might still find it through the 'Sound' section of the Menu.

That's how I have to change it on my new Samsung LED.

Alzinho said:
Are you sure? If it doesn't have an SAP function button on the remote you might still find it through the 'Sound' section of the Menu.

That's how I have to change it on my new Samsung LED.

Sometimes changing from stereo to mono works. But that could be on older TVs. Doesn't hurt to try.

Back