Wine and airplanes

We also have brought into the US at least 6, maybe as many as 10 bottles, at a time. We have declared them and Customs has never even cared to look at them. However: TSA did! On a recent trip our checked luggage arrived on the conveyor belt trailing a wide river of Malbec. TSA had opened the bag and re-packed in their own way --not ours. Only one bottle had broken but the bag was ruined and it was a huge mess. As you can imagine, we got no sympathy, let alone compensation, from the airline.

intercultural said:
We also have brought into the US at least 6, maybe as many as 10 bottles, at a time. We have declared them and Customs has never even cared to look at them. However: TSA did! On a recent trip our checked luggage arrived on the conveyor belt trailing a wide river of Malbec. TSA had opened the bag and re-packed in their own way --not ours. Only one bottle had broken but the bag was ruined and it was a huge mess. As you can imagine, we got no sympathy, let alone compensation, from the airline.
Really? Which airline? TSA broke the zipper on my bag and then tried to tape it back together and even though it wasn't continental/uniteds fault and they explicitly disclaim zipper damage, they gave me a $75 dollar continental voucher for the drycleaning costs and a brand new suitcase.

just try to check what malbec you are bringing back and make sure the malbec is not around for sale here in the USA....if that is where you are headed...like at bevmo.com I bought Alamos malbec here in the USA for less than 9 dollars a bottle the other day... cheaper than what they sell it for in BA... crazy!

We are back in the USA and brought back 17 bottles in our checked luggage and had no issues. We did not declare it and were not asked. We did purchase styrofoam wine holders from the Winery and they were a great idea. They take up room but the wine travelled safe. We also packed some in shirts, etc with no issues. We flew Delta if it matters.

Back