Wine Regions Of Chile -- South Of Santiago

For the best wines, you should drive east until you reach a wine-producing region in Argentina.

Barring that, Montes Alpha is one of Chile's best producers, and Los Vascos is the Rothschild family's holding in Chile, also excellent.

Driving east from Talca won't get you to any Argentine wine-producing area. Driving northeast will get you to San Rafael which, though it's decent, can't match the rest of Mendoza province.

Driving east from Talca won't get you to any Argentine wine-producing area. Driving northeast will get you to San Rafael which, though it's decent, can't match the rest of Mendoza province.

Holy Moley! Humor much, ajo? I promise I'll get out my compass and sextant next time I make a reference involving direction. That'll be sure to take the grin out of it.

Holy Moley! Humor much, ajo? I promise I'll get out my compass and sextant next time I make a reference involving direction. That'll be sure to take the grin out of it.

The route over the Paso Pehuenche to Malargüe, though, is well worth doing. When it might close for the winter, I don't yet know.

Back