Winter deepens misery for Argentina's poor following Milei's financial cuts

Buenos Aires and Los Angeles have very close to the same population. LA has ten times as many homeless people.

That's because LA has RVs and cars instead of villas.
I have always thought that villas were a brilliant, if incomplete, answer. Allowing people to build their own home, without permits or rules or even land ownership, works. 130,000 plus people in BA live in Villas who otherwise would be sleeping on the street. Obviously real public housing is a better long term solution, as sooner or later, earthquakes, floods, and fires are inevitable, and Villas become death traps.
In LA, only an estimated 14,000 people live in vehicles...
10,000 homeless children in the LA schools, and those are the ones who actually go to school.

LA population- approx 3.7 million.
BA population- approx 3 million

LA homeless count as of earlier this year- 46,000 in the City, 75,000 in the County.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...Greater Los Angeles,41,980 the city from 2022.

BA city homeless count- 4000. Cant find any info about total metro area homeless population.

I have always thought that villas were a brilliant, if incomplete, answer. Allowing people to build their own home, without permits or rules or even land ownership, works. 130,000 plus people in BA live in Villas who otherwise would be sleeping on the street. Obviously real public housing is a better long term solution, as sooner or later, earthquakes, floods, and fires are inevitable, and Villas become death traps.
The villas might work in CABA, which is flat, without tropical rainfall, so no landslides, not much vegetation to burn, and without much seismic activity. And also no building regulations, for all that they build 3 and 4 storeys high in Villa 31, for example. Definitely not a good solution for other parts, this isn't an example from Argentina, but I remember my first sight of Petare, in Caracas, supposedly the biggest slum in the western hemisphere, at night coming up from the airport, with the lights of Petare twinkling on the hills to the right of the motorway as if it was Lórien (*) in The Lord of the Rings. I was quickly disabused, by day it's a bit different, ready to come crashing down with the first cyclone or earthquake with the loss of thousands of lives.

* I skipped "Atlas Shrugged" for "The Lord of the Rings" as a teenager and have no reason to regret it ;)

To give credit where it's due, though, successive CABA governments have been building what looks like very decent social housing, to the north of Villa 31, for example, Barrio Rodrigo Bueno near Puerto Madero, and near the train station Federico Lacroze.

Back