withdrawals using a U.K. card

Allgood

Registered
Hi all,

If any British Expats (or anyone that knows) could help me out regarding withdrawing money, that would be great! All the posts i've read are mainly to do with HSBC or citibank. I have just moved here with my Llyods account (wasn't able to get the free nationwide one) and was wondering where I can withdraw my daily limit here in Buenos Aires? Is this possible or can I only withdraw 300 peso each time? which is gonna rape me with fees! any insight would be greatly appreciated. I also have a friend from Canada in the same situation- bank of Montreal.

Thanks,
Thomas Allgood

Allgood said:
Hi all,

If any British Expats (or anyone that knows) could help me out regarding withdrawing money, that would be great! All the posts i've read are mainly to do with HSBC or citibank. I have just moved here with my Llyods account (wasn't able to get the free nationwide one) and was wondering where I can withdraw my daily limit here in Buenos Aires? Is this possible or can I only withdraw 300 peso each time? which is gonna rape me with fees! any insight would be greatly appreciated. I also have a friend from Canada in the same situation- bank of Montreal.

Thanks,
Thomas Allgood
Hi, I have my Nationwide card which works a treat here - pretty much any ATM will accept it and I am able to make 2 x 600 pesos transactions a day. I've not had any problems with Nationwide.

However my friends have First Direct cards (HSBC) - and they are limited to 300 pesos per withdrawal (but are able to make up to 4 withdrawals per day). However they have both had their cards suspended by HSBC and have to constantly phone them up to get them reactivated after almost every withdrawal. One of them now has had the card permanently suspended by HSBC because they suspect some kind of fraud (although it is probably nothing more than the 4 x 300 pesos per day withdrawals as the card has been used no where else!).

So, I have no experience with Lloyds, but any ATM should do (most have Visa/Maestro logos - although some may only be Visa or visa versa). Be careful that if you do make multiple withdrawals per day you may have issues with your bank. One of HSBC's suggestions was to only withdraw from the same ATM each time - in order to limit the issue.

As for fees, Lloyds will charge you a foreign cash withdrawal fee (1.5% of the amount with a minimum transaction charge of £2 and a maximum charge for each transaction of £4.50) - and also a foreign exchange fee (additional 2.99%)

Pity you weren't able to get the Nationwide card - I'm getting a great rate of exchange on that - a much better rate than getting currency in the UK or at the airport.

Good luck with your card.

cmcbugg said:
Hi, I have my Nationwide card which works a treat here - pretty much any ATM will accept it and I am able to make 2 x 600 pesos transactions a day. I've not had any problems with Nationwide.
That's interesting. My Nationwide card works just fine too but even though I can make multiple withdrawals I find I'm limited to 300 pesos per withdrawal like (almost) everyone else here. Might your 600 peso limit have anything to do with the bank/atm that you are using? Would you mind telling us which actual machines you get this result from so other people could try their cards in the same ones too?

elhombresinnombre said:
Would you mind telling us which actual machines you get this result from so other people could try their cards in the same ones too?
I can't remember exactly which ATMs but I have used a fair mix of different banks. The HSBC on Sante Fe near Billinghurst is one I remember, but also used the Banco Frances and Standard Bank on Sante Fe and been able to draw at least 2 x 600 pesos (not tried more than that yet).

It's wierd because when we were here last year my friend was able to withdraw 600 pesos from his First Direct card without issue - this year however First Direct doesnt seem to allow that.

Back