World Cup meet-ups

Gaucho Sam

Registered
Hello all,

As I mentioned in my first post on the Newcomers' board, I'm a football journalist. I've just had a call from a friend who's been phoned up by an ex-colleague at ESPN Sportscenter. They're looking to take a camera and try and get a few interviews and some pictures with ex-pats who are watching their country play at the World Cup in Buenos Aires. My friend, being Argentine, doesn't have a clue where these people might be, but he called me to ask if I do.

So, for example, does anyone know of anywhere that will be hosting a lot of English and Americans for Saturday's match? Or anywhere ESPN might be able to encounter a bunch of Irish fans wearing Uruguay/Mexico/South Africa shirts during France's matches (beyond the obvious Irish bars, of course)?

I've suggested The Gibraltar to him, which is where I might be watching the England-USA game, but beyond that or Molly Malone's (which I've never actually been in!) I was a bit stumped. I told him I'd get back to him on it.

Any other ideas? Any match-up and nationality accepted!

There was a post about a bunch of people going to Almagro or something, but I know I am staying in Palermo going to Prodeo Bar/Hotel (Gorriti between Godoy Cruz and Juan B Justo). Not sure how he'll feel about cameras, but the owner is American and he is showing all the games.

As an Irish guy, I am going to watch Uruguay beat France tomorrow in Sugar.....

Saturday, meeting up for a barbecue and Super Saturday at an ex pats house with a load of Brits and Yanks (If that is desired, PM me)

Sunday, and there is a large group heading to CasaBar to watch Australia v Germany, with I do believe, an inflatable Kangaroo making an appearance. Naturally this is being hosted by Aussie Ex Pats :)

Hope that helps.....

PS - The Gibraltar, much as it is a favourite watering hole of mine, is not the best for football.

Hey everyone I'm a brand-spankin-new user and I'm trying to watch USA - England with a few other slurring-drunk, halfway-delusional yankis. It looks like most of you guys are thinking about going to Sugar in Palermo so I imagine I'll find my way there.

Is that where most of the US expat action usually is? I'd like to watch the stars and stripes without having to deal with a ton of sloshed Englishmen chanting ing-er-lund and screaming the lyrics to god save the queen for 2 straight hours. Though it would be nice to have some genuine lions to insult if they don't get the result, lol.

I guess I just don't want to be the only estadounidense there. Anything is better than watching it alone at home, really.

Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give. Vamos las estrellas y rayos y vamos los tres leones (except for tomorrow)

P.S. - I'll be the one with the glasses wearing the BRADLEY 4 jersey if anyone wants to say hi.

Thanks for the replies everyone, sorry I didn't respond sooner - my internet wasn't working when I got back in on Friday evening, and my friend needed the response then so I just told him to tell them to go to Gibraltar. Liam, you're quite right it's not the best for football, but it's the only English (as opposed to Irish) bar I know of apart from the Británico!

And Dietsoda, the morons you're describing, I would hope, are far more common in tourist destinations in North America or southern Europe than they would be down here. I can't imagine any England fan in Buenos Aires wants to make too much noise (quite apart from the fact that if you come down here you're probably doing enough travelling to be a bit less of an arsehole than that). Hope you avoided them successfully anyway, people like that are the reason I hate watching football in pubs when I'm in England!

I was in Sugar on Saturday and it was 50% Americans and 50% English. the place was full and although there were a few loud idiots on both sides the atmosphere was pretty good. A TV crew came and put us live on TV. Both sides were singing loudly but that's what you want, right? Singing and having fun. I enjoyed it.
I'll be watching the rest of the England games there. They told me they are open for nearly all the games, even at 8am. It's a bit early but I'lltry and get a comfy seat and doze if it's a boring game....like France vs Uruguay.
Vamos Argentina, as long as it's not vs england

Back