Xoom - Got Money No Problem (Well, Almost)

Meri

Registered
Hi all,

Wanted to report in that although I've overstayed the 90 day visa I was able to get money from Xoom (More Money/Libertad) no problem. Although when I got home I noticed the guy had skimmed 300 pesos off the top - handed me 3 1K peso stacks that I stupidly didn't count (there were 9 instead of 10 100 peso bills in each one). If you go to that More Money location he was a heavy set guy with dark hair. The day I was there he was sitting on the far left.

Holy crap, that's the location I've used. But I always count, even though it's tedious as hell.

I know - I was lazy and didn't do it. I'm leaving BsAs in a few weeks and I suppose this kind of thing makes leaving a bit easier. I don't want to have to think about this stuff...there's better places to place one's energy :)

I know - I was lazy and didn't do it. I'm leaving BsAs in a few weeks and I suppose this kind of thing makes leaving a bit easier. I don't want to have to think about this stuff...there's better places to place one's energy :)

I would suggest you count that amount of money anywhere in the world you go. I'd sooner take 300 Euro than ARS.

Hi all,

Wanted to report in that although I've overstayed the 90 day visa I was able to get money from Xoom (More Money/Libertad) no problem. Although when I got home I noticed the guy had skimmed 300 pesos off the top - handed me 3 1K peso stacks that I stupidly didn't count (there were 9 instead of 10 100 peso bills in each one). If you go to that More Money location he was a heavy set guy with dark hair. The day I was there he was sitting on the far left.

The same man handled my transaction today at 1:00. After 23 transfers, I've never been short of the exact amount. He unbanded the hundreds in one thousand peso bundles and put them through the machine counter for me to view. They ALWAYS count the money right in front of me or with the machine before it's passed to a customer. My transfer today was very large so he used the machine.

The Libertad office is the main one for MORE in Buenos Aires. They complete many transfers each day and have to balance the bank at the end of the day.

I think you need to recount the money in your hands. I find it hard to believe that he didn't count the bills for your acceptance. Once it's in your hands, you can't return.

MORE doesn't care if your visa expired, only that you are the person collecting the transfer.

There's always a skimmer somewhere when they think no one is looking. Kind of like bartenders....

I've done many transactions there as well and this is the first time it happened. He didn't put it through the money counter - he handed it to me folded in 3 separate bunches the way they do in cuevas sometimes. In a cueva I would always count - there I didn't bother. I realized there was one missing out of each folded stack when I went to spend it later in the day. I hadn't touched it prior. I mean, it is what it is. Just posting so people will be more vigilant than I was.

Everyone should know the standard practice dealing with money here, whether at a bank, cueva, or money transfer agent: the money is counted out right in front of you before it is handed over. If not, it's simple to ask for it to be counted before it's passed into your hands.

That same man at the Libertad office of MORE Money has handled my transactions, usually hand counting the money on the counter in my view. Yesterday, he put the bills through the machine counter. The transaction was completed in 3 minutes.

The other thread has been locked, but just to recap, Argenper (through Azimo) are fully enforcing the need to have a QUIL if you have overstayed. I assume that the same will happen with Xoom and More Money, so if anyone thinks they can wing it, forget about it.

Back