Xoom Issues On An Expired Visa?

tangueraintrepida

Registered
My boyfriend and I are two weeks away from our 90 days and are debating whether to take the trip to Colonia or just pay the $300 overstay fee on our way out of the country next year.

Our biggest concern is whether Xoom is going to give us trouble getting money if our visas are expired. We were going to contact Xoom customer service but don't want to end up with a big red flag on our accounts.

Has anyone used Xoom on an expired visa?

I have used Xoom a few times since my visa expired. The time before last I encountered some problems. They asked if I was working and I said, yes, I'm teaching English. They wanted to know where I worked. The guy got on the phone and started talking to someone. Saying things like, "She has a thousand stamps..." (not sure what he meant, but I have both many Arg stamps and stamps from manyy other countries in my passport) and then he looked at my latest entry stamp (expired) and said, "is this your most recent stamp?" He was very suspicious and made some more comments to whoever he was on the phone with. Finally, my Argy bf went to the window and said, "she doesn't have a real job here, she's teaching English in exchange for Spanish classes". Then he said OK, hung up, and gave me my $$. I've been back to Xoom since then, but I tell them (on the phone and then again if they ask in person- which they didn't do this most recent time) that I'm here taking Spanish classes, I'll be here for a few more months, and that my parents put the $$ into the account from which I am transferring it. That did the trick, and hopefully will continue to work without problems.

So while they are not in the visa enforcing business, they still feel obligated to require whatever protocol they have in place (which seems to change with every transfer I make) and better to play it safe, I would say!!

Back