Y Lan Y ???

fred mertz

Registered
I checked Lan.com for fares from BA to Iguazu for later this month and got a rt price of $1,179.62 or about US$280.00. Someone in the U.S. checked Lan.com for the same dates, minutes after I checked, and got a fare of US466.00. How come? Lan didn't ask me about my resident status.

Because:

1. Prices change all the time
2. Prices may be different depending on localization

LAN usually asks about your resident status, or defaults to the country that you're checking from. There are different rates for locals vs. foreigners!

I sometimes find that with british airways too. I'll quite often go to the UK site to check prices and then find the price for the same flight listed much higher on the Argentine website. It's strange because a few years ago it was the other way round!

I know that Aerolineas charges more for non Argentines for no current reason. Th excuse during and right after the financial crises might have been valid, "that was yesterday and yesterday's gone." This was done to help the financially challenged traveler. I thought that maybe it was good idea, until I saw an ad in La Nacion for discounted business class fares for Argentines. Give me a break. Of course, they have to ask if you're an Argentine resident. If a foreigner buys a ticket in BA at the lower price and is told, when they check in for the flight that their foreign passport doesn't qualify..... well, you get the picture.
Yes, airfares change often, but not by 60%.

fred mertz said:
I know that Aerolineas charges more for non Argentines for no current reason.
Aerolineas charge the standard IATA-price to foreign nationals. Flights for Argentinos are subsidized - more or less the same as in the US, where e.g. Disneyland is cheaper for people living in the state.

Exactly, they pay local income taxes i'm assuming and as such are entitled to such subsidies.

John.St said:
Aerolineas charge the standard IATA-price to foreign nationals. Flights for Argentinos are subsidized - more or less the same as in the US, where e.g. Disneyland is cheaper for people living in the state.

Back