Residential Housing noise ordinance?

Enemigous

Registered
Hi new to BA. Is there a noise ordinance for residential property? We have a renter next-door that plays loud music all day and all night

trying to figure out how we can mitigate this issue

who can we file a complaint with?

Whether they have a legal business license to run a music recording studio in a residence ?

Are you in CABA? There is a BA city government phone number to report it 147, available 24/7 - Justicia Contravencional y de Faltas. I've also heard of people who have recorded the noise from inside their property to back their case.

We had the same issue and alerted the building admin, who informed the unit owner. He managed to get rid of the guy. This happened 2-3 times since he started renting his units short term (AirBnB and the like). He doesn't live in CABA so he can't know if his tenants are being inconsiderate.

First talk to them. Portenos are lovely people. I’m sure he’ll understand. If not, report it. If you find it too complicated then ask your landlord to deal with it. After all he/she wouldn’t want to loose a gringo tenant. When I first came here with my Arg wife; there was a big party every night in the building where we had an Airbnb. I was flipping but my wife’s reaction was “let them have fun”! Arg people are extremely tolerant for the noise and the party. Recently went to a friends birthday party in his house in one of those Notdelta gated communities. There was serious levels of noise. Very big party with live music. DJ. At least 100 people. It was a weekday so the management was very strict, they permitted music only but only until 2 am! 🤪 On a weekday and no neighbours were complaining. If you live in Argentina you gotta be ok with that sort of noise. They’re not being disrespectful but just a cultural thing. Make the same noise and no one will come at your door. But I agree. It gets annoying at times.

First talk to them. Portenos are lovely people. I’m sure he’ll understand. If not, report it. If you find it too complicated then ask your landlord to deal with it. After all he/she wouldn’t want to loose a gringo tenant. When I first came here with my Arg wife; there was a big party every night in the building where we had an Airbnb. I was flipping but my wife’s reaction was “let them have fun”! Arg people are extremely tolerant for the noise and the party. Recently went to a friends birthday party in his house in one of those Notdelta gated communities. There was serious levels of noise. Very big party with live music. DJ. At least 100 people. It was a weekday so the management was very strict, they permitted music only but only until 2 am! 🤪 On a weekday and no neighbours were complaining. If you live in Argentina you gotta be ok with that sort of noise. They’re not being disrespectful but just a cultural thing. Make the same noise and no one will come at your door. But I agree. It gets annoying at times.
This please! Talk to your neighbor first. I still vividly remember being in the US years ago, playing some music at 5 pm on a Saturday, heard the buzzer ringing and there were 3 cops... It felt unreal that people could be so nasty, had they told me anything I would have turned it down right away. That was a total shocker, I was 23 and it was my first time abroad.

What about construction work noises ?. In my building there is a rush to convert studios to Airbnb, so we have permanent banging and drilling. Remodeling an apt can take more than 3 months. New Flooring, appliances, painting, partitioning, etc

Even if workers respect the municipal working hours restrictions it's annoying for people that sleep during the day and for those that work on zoom. I had to schedule online sessions to midday break or late evening . However with different time zones it becomes complicated. Some of my contacts have had problems hearing me.

PD: The Buenos Aires Government Control Agency (AGC) indicated that a tenant cannot generate annoying noises outside of these days and times: Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturdays, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. that there are very few who respect this kind of "norm of coexistence", which in practice is not punished either.

Last edited:
What about construction work noises ?. In my building there is a rush to convert studios to Airbnb, so we have permanent banging and drilling. Remodeling an apt can take more than 3 months. New Flooring, appliances, painting, partitioning, etc

Even if workers respect the municipal working hours restrictions it's annoying for people that sleep during the day and for those that work on zoom. I had to schedule online sessions to midday break or late evening . However with different time zones it becomes complicated. Some of my contacts have had problems hearing me.

PD: The Buenos Aires Government Control Agency (AGC) indicated that a tenant cannot generate annoying noises outside of these days and times: Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., and on Saturdays, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. that there are very few who respect this kind of "norm of coexistence", which in practice is not punished either.

Back