Tough Times For Argentine Factories As Consumers Penny-pinch

Doesn't help that the peso is artificially expensive which helps to decrease competitiveness. If Milei actually opens up imports local industry is going away fully, no more line shutdowns, entire factories closing because why get fake 'Made in TDF" appliances when you can get the same ones made in China for half the price

Doesn't help that the peso is artificially expensive which helps to decrease competitiveness. If Milei actually opens up imports local industry is going away fully, no more line shutdowns, entire factories closing because why get fake 'Made in TDF" appliances when you can get the same ones made in China for half the price
And I am afraid he is going to open up cold turkey, looks like his style, without giving anyone the time to at least try to get more competitive

The Argentine peso is the currency that has appraised the most in the world in 2024

And I am afraid he is going to open up cold turkey, looks like his style, without giving anyone the time to at least try to get more competitive
I assume as much too, Milei isn't the type of man to think rationally about things, consequences be damned.
The Argentine peso is the currency that has appraised the most in the world in 2024

That's the problem, expensive peso, high export duties, high import duties (parts/capital goods) and liquified consumption domestically. This means opened imports or not, it makes more sense for Argentines to buy cheap MEP dollars and go buy washing machines or TVs in Chile or Brazil. Also, if domestically produced goods are expensive, and imported goods are expensive, which one are consumers going to chose? Probably the better quality, non Nac y Pop goods.

We've got all the negatives associated with dollarization, and none of the positives, such as a currency people actually trust.
Please elaborate more on why this could be a good thing for Argentina and Argentinians
It's generally not. Some items, such as electronics or coffee or chocolate would become cheaper for consumers because it's all imported as is, so the tarifs would assumingely be reduced or eliminated, but it also destroys the domestic consumption and tax base as (relatively) well paying jobs evaporate due to Argentine businesses lose competitiveness globally.

I don't think ISI works for a 21st Century economy, but I also think we shouldn't be surprised when a laissez faire economic policy results in imports drowning out expensive domestically produced goods. If this is what people want, so be it, but accept that living by the sword means dying by it too.

After buying $1 ikea water glasses for $6 in BsAs, I really can’t wait to see the local industry go away! They built their businesses on ripping off the public with the help of the protectionism! They have to compete! They have to export or go away.

After buying $1 ikea water glasses for $6 in BsAs, I really can’t wait to see the local industry go away! They built their businesses on ripping off the public with the help of the protectionism! They have to compete! They have to export or go away.
Locally produced glasses have always (since I came here, at least) been very cheap, if they cost USD 6 now, you know who you have to blame.

Back