Tough Times For Argentine Factories As Consumers Penny-pinch

less than 90,000 people in the entire country earn enough money to pay income tax. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...millions-from-paying-income-tax-as-vote-nears
Thats a surprising number, but believable as a large amount of argentines I know are either wholly working in the black or payed a percentage in cash so no one pays tax. Then you have the blatant 20% off for cash everywhere, regulation bypassing electrical payment options like mercardopago etc and you start to see where many of the problems are.

I bought a pair of industria argentina football boots and they’re awful 😀
Some things made in Argentina are awful, but some are of quality you will never find outside anymore. What these guys were making in the past borders to art sometimes. Some furniture, or doors are like new after 40 years of heavy use. But then your termotanque explodes after 2 years, and you are willing to pay x4 for mediocre Italian one, that at least will last 10 years...

Some things made in Argentina are awful, but some are of quality you will never find outside anymore. What these guys were making in the past borders to art sometimes. Some furniture, or doors are like new after 40 years of heavy use. But then your termotanque explodes after 2 years, and you are willing to pay x4 for mediocre Italian one, that at least will last 10 years...
The doors in my apartment date to 1905... And I can still buy matching replacement hardware (industria argentina) in the herrajes stores on Sarmiento.
My termotanque is now about 17 years old. I did have to replace a ten dollar part this summer, as it had corroded, but its still running strong.
Orbis, made in Villa Adelina by a german family since 1921.

The doors in my apartment date to 1905... And I can still buy matching replacement hardware (industria argentina) in the herrajes stores on Sarmiento.
My termotanque is now about 17 years old. I did have to replace a ten dollar part this summer, as it had corroded, but its still running strong.
Orbis, made in Villa Adelina by a german family since 1921.
And yes; that’s the problem! Argentina got the talent, knowledge and everything else to have global brands but unfortunately the previous political and fiscal situations made it impossible for SMEs. It was so sad. I tried to export some products from Argentina and it was impossible due to the official rate situation. Everything had to go through your bank to manufacturer’s bank at the official rate which meant the price doubling up! Even the manufacturers had given up. Each one of them were saying “don’t waste your or my time, it’s not doable”. That’ll change hopefully.

And yes; that’s the problem! Argentina got the talent, knowledge and everything else to have global brands but unfortunately the previous political and fiscal situations made it impossible for SMEs. It was so sad. I tried to export some products from Argentina and it was impossible due to the official rate situation. Everything had to go through your bank to manufacturer’s bank at the official rate which meant the price doubling up! Even the manufacturers had given up. Each one of them were saying “don’t waste your or my time, it’s not doable”. That’ll change hopefully.
Couldn’t agree more. The government could and should HELP companies export, but instead hinders. Many countries have figured out how to support exports, there are working models to copy. Neither K nor Milei have much interest, though.

Take a trip to Chile or Spain and you’ll see plenty of Argentine brands at shopping malls, from Havana, La Cabrera to Luciano’s to clothing brands or household brands like the Candle Shop. Throughout Latin America companies like MercadoLibre also has a major presence. The issue is, that in order for Argentine brands to go global companies need to effectively relocate to other countries and depend on foreign production for their global operations - meaning almost zero economic benefit from their international activities actually flows back to Argentina from these made in Argentine success stories. Their owners almost all live and pay taxes in Uruguay or elsewhere and those few that remain usually put all of their foreign assets into trusts out of reach of Argentine tax authorities or banking systems.

This is all thanks to decades of oppressive and abusive domestic fiscal and economic policies as well as cherry-picking trade policies - which we all know needs to be a two way street in order to actually work. The result, each year about a third of Argentina’s real GDP doesn’t even make it to Argentina or into the light of day to even be counted.

Take a trip to Chile or Spain and you’ll see plenty of Argentine brands at shopping malls, from Havana, La Cabrera to Luciano’s to clothing brands or household brands like the Candle Shop. Throughout Latin America companies like MercadoLibre also has a major presence. The issue is, that in order for Argentine brands to go global companies need to effectively relocate to other countries and depend on foreign production for their global operations - meaning almost zero economic benefit from their international activities actually flows back to Argentina from these made in Argentine success stories. Their owners almost all live and pay taxes in Uruguay or elsewhere and those few that remain usually put all of their foreign assets into trusts out of reach of Argentine tax authorities or banking systems.

This is all thanks to decades of oppressive and abusive domestic fiscal and economic policies as well as cherry-picking trade policies - which we all know needs to be a two way street in order to actually work. The result, each year about a third of Argentina’s real GDP doesn’t even make it to Argentina or into the light of day to even be counted.
you see argentine brands in south america due to mercosur.
but the frictional costs required to export are very high from Argentina.
I know some companies that are successful because they are able to ship by companies like DHL or Correo Argentina, as opposed to going thru the system of export taxes, customs brokers, and ports for shipping by container.
For instance, Darto sells sartenes to chefs in Paris, and sells quite a bit to the USA- 15 dollars flat rate to any country.
I know a couple of Argentine eyeglasses frame manufacturers, whose products, obviously, are small and light- they export directly to consumers all over the world.
But once you get into bulk freight, the legal and customs and tax ramifications of shipping make it common for prices to have to double or triple.
China dominates consumer retail in the USA right now, without "relocating" simply by drop shipping. I just bought a stereo amplifier from a company in Hong Kong, it was at my door within a week.
Obviously, they also defy your "two way street" rule. They have stricter local ownership and investment and tax rules for foreign companies than Argentina.
You are raising ideological economic theories- I am talking about the simple fact that export taxes of 5% to 15% are just the start. Only a very few countries charge export taxes on goods at all, and of them, Argentina is, I believe, second only to the Solomon Islands (!) in how high the export tax is.
This is all tied in with the way the Argentine tax system is designed to privelige inherited wealth, and tax the middle class and poor, but not the rich- export taxes, along with a very high IVA, and taxes on employee salaries, are the vast majority of tax income to the government. No inheritance tax, no real estate tax outside of BA Provincia (and there, its the tiny ABL) corporate and personal income taxes which exist basically in theory only- the system does not encourage exports, or support increases in manufacturing and Value added jobs and income.

The laws could be changed to encourage exports.
The government could invest relatively small amounts in helping market argentine exports- The Turks, for example, have supported a central showroom in the garment district in NYC for small manufacturers, and, as a result, sell a lot in the USA. The Argentine shoe and clothing sectors, along with small machinery, transformers, tools, lighting, furniture, appliances, kitchen equipment, industrial laundry machines, agricultural machines and accessories, are just a few industries that could be very competitive in North America, if they were able to export freely.
We dont need lots of low priced chinese crap- we need to sell the stuff that is already made here.

you see argentine brands in south america due to mercosur.
but the frictional costs required to export are very high from Argentina.
I know some companies that are successful because they are able to ship by companies like DHL or Correo Argentina, as opposed to going thru the system of export taxes, customs brokers, and ports for shipping by container.
For instance, Darto sells sartenes to chefs in Paris, and sells quite a bit to the USA- 15 dollars flat rate to any country.
I know a couple of Argentine eyeglasses frame manufacturers, whose products, obviously, are small and light- they export directly to consumers all over the world.
But once you get into bulk freight, the legal and customs and tax ramifications of shipping make it common for prices to have to double or triple.
China dominates consumer retail in the USA right now, without "relocating" simply by drop shipping. I just bought a stereo amplifier from a company in Hong Kong, it was at my door within a week.
Obviously, they also defy your "two way street" rule. They have stricter local ownership and investment and tax rules for foreign companies than Argentina.
You are raising ideological economic theories- I am talking about the simple fact that export taxes of 5% to 15% are just the start. Only a very few countries charge export taxes on goods at all, and of them, Argentina is, I believe, second only to the Solomon Islands (!) in how high the export tax is.
This is all tied in with the way the Argentine tax system is designed to privelige inherited wealth, and tax the middle class and poor, but not the rich- export taxes, along with a very high IVA, and taxes on employee salaries, are the vast majority of tax income to the government. No inheritance tax, no real estate tax outside of BA Provincia (and there, its the tiny ABL) corporate and personal income taxes which exist basically in theory only- the system does not encourage exports, or support increases in manufacturing and Value added jobs and income.

The laws could be changed to encourage exports.
The government could invest relatively small amounts in helping market argentine exports- The Turks, for example, have supported a central showroom in the garment district in NYC for small manufacturers, and, as a result, sell a lot in the USA. The Argentine shoe and clothing sectors, along with small machinery, transformers, tools, lighting, furniture, appliances, kitchen equipment, industrial laundry machines, agricultural machines and accessories, are just a few industries that could be very competitive in North America, if they were able to export freely.
We dont need lots of low priced chinese crap- we need to sell the stuff that is already made here.
Up to a certain quantity and price the government didn’t care but if it’s export in bulk then it was another story. Whatever you wanted to import from Argentina doubled in price.

Because you said eyewear; there’s a brand called Absurda. They have a store in Soho. I have a pair of glasses that people stop me on the streets in London to ask where I got it from.

Mocassinos legitimos; are very Argentinian and I used to buy them for $50 and believe me; the style of it and the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship is above any Italian shoemaker. It’s my thing so i know. There are some Spanish companies that didn’t mind the official rate and kept importing at the official rate.

Turks are a different story. I know them so well. They are very hardworking compared to Argentines or any other nation. If there’s business they can stay up all night long. You go them, first they feed you, then the tea coffee and then the business. Once I was arriving Istanbul at midnight and had to close a deal the next day as I needed to fly out the same day. The guy said he’ll pick me up and we will directly go to his office and so did we. Completed the business at 4 am. Even some employees were there preparing the samples. Slept till noon and flew out in the evening. That’s not possible here. I was trying to import some chairs and the lady who owns the factory messaged me a few hours before our appointment to tell me that it’s too hot so she’ll go to pool at her parents and told me to come the next day. The old system made people lazy as well. Subsidised utilities, transport etc. Good life. Cheap food and alcohol along with strange fiscal policies made people feel like why they’d worry about doing business. This should change so that people try harder to make money and believe me, this country got a lot to offer. Above all the country has a huge brand value. Vamos Argentina!!!

One could debate what is actually better for people, working at 4am or going to the pool when it's too hot to work haha

One could debate what is actually better for people, working at 4am or going to the pool when it's too hot to work haha
Haha true. Great if you can go to pool instead of working but then make sure you got the means for it.

Back