Recent content by mageesa

  1. M

    Tech Utopians Want to Build a City in Colonia, Uruguay

    Yes, I noticed that! Couldn't find pricing for Praxis specifically, so the $70k is for +Colonia. It seems like a natural idea to live in a community of like-minded individuals, but it hardly ever works out. I've always been fascinated by these sorts of planned communities. I've been to Shaker...
  2. M

    Tech Utopians Want to Build a City in Colonia, Uruguay

    Haha I was sort of just joking, as a worker in the creative arts. But you're correct, with the flexibility of English, 'creative' might be modifying 'professional' in the sense: creative when coming up with ways to avoid paying taxes. Either way, I looked up the prices in PlusColonia, and you...
  3. M

    Tech Utopians Want to Build a City in Colonia, Uruguay

    How will 'creative professionals' afford to live in Uruguay libertarian utopia when they're unemployed? Inquiring minds want to know!
  4. M

    For all my friends using AI for immigration advice...

    Here's what Google said was today's exchange rate....
  5. M

    Coffee Chat on TUESDAY, Sept 15 VELVET Café/Resto in Palermo

    Oops a little late but I'll be there!
  6. M

    Cartoneros face an uncertain future in Buenos Aires

    Good article! "Her office's most recent review examined AR$779 billion in payments to six private waste-collection firms during 2024 and found AR$56.9 billion credited in the accounting system to the wrong contractors." I am pro cartonero, aside from this. Years ago I remember walking home from...
  7. M

    Thiel becomes anti-Milei rallying cry for Argentina’s left

    There's just no getting away from these ghouls! I didn't think Argentines would put up with all this, let alone choose it.
  8. M

    The awful state of our economy

    I flew to Miami as the first leg of a trip home on Monday, and there were families with kids heading to the USA for their 'winter break'. That's the well-to-do class. Park De La Costa has entries and discounts from about 15.000 to 20.000, which in comparison to actually traveling for vacation...
  9. M

    Newcomers! No bus or subway service tomorrow (Sunday) after 3:00 pm.

    If you weren't here last time, know that public transportation ceases tomorrow at 15:00. Wear your walking shoes if you're seeing the game outside your barrio, haha. Expect massive crowds in the streets if they win. Bring extra water for your walk. Last time I went to the Obelisco early with my...
  10. M

    Well, where do I start....

    I think you should trust your Argentine friends and come down for 6 months (get the extension at immigration) to get an idea. From what you say I think you'd like it, and speaking spanish goes a long way, since people love to talk. It reminds me of NYC back in the 90s, when you would run into a...
  11. M

    Citizenship and migration DNU declared unconstitutional June 30th 2026

    My guess: they know these things will be struck down, but for a couple years they enjoy a power their office doesn't normally permit. Think of all those people Trump sent to El Salvador. Are they still there? People affected by Milei's DNU the past year aren't getting compensated; If they...
  12. M

    The awful state of our economy

    "This job destruction is due to a shrinking economy. The latest figure from Fundar think tank warns that 26,448 companies have closed down between March, 2023 and the same month this year when 2,011 enterprises were shuttered. “That figure contrasts with the fall of 257 firms registered in the...
  13. M

    The myth of white Argentina still shapes the nation

    If Argentina is somehow (mysteriously) racially homogeneous, that's *positive* news to some folks. Eric Weinstein is a Peter Thiel crony, currently visiting Argentina. He gushed in an interview that it's "more European than Europe", after their recent waves of migration. 😉 Wink wink
  14. M

    Ecoparque entrance fee for nonresident visitors

    "Para argentinos y residentes en el país que no vivan en territorio porteño, la entrada general tendrá un valor de $9.871. A los extranjeros se les cobrará $19.741 y si son menores de 12 años, $15.793." In case you were wondering. Not a trifling amount, but a strangely specific one jajaja
Back
Top