¡Hola Expats - Moving to Bariloche!

jared

Registered
Hola a todos,

Booked my one-way ticket to BA today... I arrive June 1, 2012!

About me:

29-year-old, male, U.S. citizen, intending to set up base for long-term exploration of Patagonia. My length of stay is indefinite at this point. If it becomes home that's great, I'm certainly open to that, but definitely no less than 12 full months.

I will be working full-time as an Independent Contractor (1099) for a US company via the internet. I'll be grossing approximately $2500 USD/month and hoping to take advantage of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

I'm coming to enjoy the great outdoors. Hiking/backpacking, kayaking, adventure motorcycling, snowboarding, etc... and to get involved/volunteer with the conservation effort.

I've had my sights primarily on Bariloche but have also become interested in El Bolsón. So, any resources and advice with regards to those areas (or others that may serve my interests) will be greatly appreciated!

En este momento, mi Español es rudimentario, pero... I hope to improve significantly over the next 11 months and to become fluent while I'm there.

I'm interested to know what I can expect in terms of cost of living in the KM's of Bariloche or even elsewhere like El Bolsón or Esquel. Will I be able to get the sort of rent prices I'm seeing on ABC Sur ($1000-$2000 ARS)? I want to take my dollar as far as it can go, but of course I also want to meet people, have access to a social scene (not a "nightlife", but groups, activities, communal settings, etc), as well as reliable, high-speed internet. I understand it can take a long time to get internet set up, I am planning to take the entire month of June off to get established.

Also, I fully intend to purchase a dual-sport (on-road/off-road) motorcycle at some point early on. Any advice or experience with purchasing vehicles would be appreciated.

Well I guess that's probably too much information as it is :eek:... any and all guidance will be genuinely appreciated. I hope I can make some initial friendships here on the forums over the next year as I prepare. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

¡Salud!

-Jared

I've been living here in Bariloche for 4 years, have property and a DNI which makes life easier.

My trekking site: Trekking in Bariloche

Snowboarding: www.catedralaltapatagonia.com season lift pass this year AR$8700, expect it be be over AR$10k next year!

I was speaking with someone last week that had a 2 bedroom furnished cabin at KM5 for AR$2000 month. Rent anything long term and pay up front and you will get a better rate. Don't have a clue about renting in El Bolson or Esquel but would assume it less expensive as it less touristy.

Next year everything will be 20% more expensive...

Hi jez,

Going through your site now, looks very informative, thank you.

Yea, I think I'll skip the Catedral season pass...

2br, furnished for AR$2000 sounds pretty good!

I assume your prediction is based on current inflation trends? Do you also think the US dollar will continue to gain in strength?

jared said:
Hi jez,

Going through your site now, looks very informative, thank you.

Yea, I think I'll skip the Catedral season pass...

2br, furnished for AR$2000 sounds pretty good!

I assume your prediction is based on current inflation trends? Do you also think the US dollar will continue to gain in strength?

2br but without any view..

yes based on inflation, no clue about the US dollar

Jared - my family is looking at a 2012 move to Bariloche as well. My wife has family in BA and they are attempting to help us as much as they can with the move. Some folks here have been very helpful with sharing information as well (Nicole and Jez, in particular).

Would love to create a new thread that is anything/everything Bariloche since 99% of the posts seem to be geared towards BA. Would be a good place to share info for those of us not living there now.

Altitude said:
Jared - my family is looking at a 2012 move to Bariloche as well. My wife has family in BA and they are attempting to help us as much as they can with the move. Some folks here have been very helpful with sharing information as well (Nicole and Jez, in particular).

Would love to create a new thread that is anything/everything Bariloche since 99% of the posts seem to be geared towards BA. Would be a good place to share info for those of us not living there now.

Hola Altitude,

That's a great idea. Should it be in the "Expat Life" forum? You wanna kick it off or shall I?

Salud,
Jared

Yes, probably in Expat life section. I'll let you start the thread, I have some links I can send you that have been very helpful for me.

Back