1 Peso Coins : Why So Few? Tips For Getting Them?

415alanb

Registered
I only stay here for a few weeks at a time, so I don't have a SUBE card and need 1 peso coins for the collectivos and coin laundry in my building. I'm having a really hard time accumulating what I need.

I've tried asking for change at grocery stores and kiosks, but they always say no. I've tried buying things specifically priced to force an odd change amount, but then they will initially ask my if I have 1 peso, and then when I say no, they round down to avoid giving one since they also don't have any or give me multiple smaller coins.

I just went to two banks to see if I could get some there, but saw huge lines in both of them and didn't want to spend 30 minutes only to be told no. Do they sell rolls of coins at banks here if you don't have an account with them?

Does anyone have tips on where I can score coins easily?

Go to a bank and stand in line. That's what people who need change do. Every time I go to the bank, there are usually 2-3 people doing just that.

If you want I can sell you all of my coins I have in jars. I never use them. It might be even $100 pesos on coins or more. A lot of them are 2 peso coins too

Been told you can buy SUBE cards pretty much like phone SIMs, no questions asked. Haven't gotten mine yet but I'm hoping to find one.

Take the time to get a SUBE card.

And if you need more coins, follow the advice above, and go to a bank. I used to do that back a few years ago when coins were essentially non-existent.

Also, one thing to add 415, you aren't alone. I was in a dietetica a few days ago and casually mentioned that I have a lot of coins sitting in my house and they practically begged me to bring them in. Coins have always been in short supply (though it used to be worse).

But you should really get a Sube card. All you need is your passport and 5 minutes. The hardest part is finding a place to get it. If you are in Palermo or want to come to Palermo, I can tell you where to go.

Get a Sube card. By now you can get it at many kiosquos, no paperwork required. We just had two house guests from abroad, I got them Sube cards a couple of blocks away, and they were all set. It took 2 minutes. No need to chase coins.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]But you should really get a Sube card. All you need is your passport and 5 minutes. The hardest part is finding a place to get it. If you are in Palermo or want to come to Palermo, I can tell you where to go.[/background]

I live in Palermo. Super easy to get sube cards, no need to show a passport or any kind of ID. Just look for kiosquos or locutorio type places. There are many.

Yes indeed, get a Sube card, I think you'll be glad you did. If you're lucky, it could be about the same amount of time as waiting in line once for change.

Sube cards

they use to be a hassle to obtain

no need now for passports or any identification at all

i am in villa crespo

if anyone needs a card i will show you exactly where to purchase the card

as it will cost you 15 pesos .. at this location you can only add to it 20 pesos

but you can go to any subte station with it and put onto the card any amount of money

then use it on the buses or underground network

all is simple

but

one often needs others to help them along

that is the plus plus of this group for sure

walter

Back