100 New Government Multiplex Cinemas Being Built?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Had a conversation last night with a gentlemen who is in the movie industry. He said that his company is bidding on a government contract for work on 100-150 new multiplex cinemas to be built in Argentina.

First, it doesn't seem to me like there is a market for that many new cinemas. Second, my "suspicious mind" kicked in and wondered what it would be like to go to a government-owned / sponsored cinema. Two hours of propaganda?

Anyone have any insight into whether this might come to be?

Many thanks,

GS.

Well lets see, foreign movies are ... imported. Must be brought using hard currency. Insane! We will skip those, they're expensive and give people wrong ideas. They're not good for "todos y todas".

We can always promote our local cinema industry elsewhere but in san Luis. San Luis does not see eye to eye on all things with the central government .

Since we're having more and more arbitrary holidays, we can easily dedicate a few of them to mandatory optional indoctrination brainwashing enjoying propaganda movies. Lets us rejoice and have "Cine para Todos"!

clockwork_orange_011404_20100124_00.jpg

Going to the movies has become quite an expensive expedition. How are we supposed to keep those cinemas profitable?

Why should the government NOT get involved in movie theaters ? They own the Airline , oil company , money press , they recently got in the cell phone business , and I am sure there are many more businesses I am missing. it will Provide construction jobs , entertainment , etc.....

Instead of helping with social programs or infrastructure , they make movie theaters.... I guess they have to spend all that graft somewhere.

Why should the government NOT get involved in movie theaters ? They own the Airline , oil company , money press , they recently got in the cell phone business , and I am sure there are many more businesses I am missing. it will Provide construction jobs , entertainment , etc.....

Instead of helping with social programs or infrastructure , they make movie theaters.... I guess they have to spend all that graft somewhere.

All the more crap for the next government to sell off and hopefully use the money to invest in infrastructure, but will probably just go in their pockets.

The INCAA (Argentine Film Board) owns a few cinemas already, and is frequently building or buying ones outside of Buenos Aires. The INCAA is independent of the government, it is funded by taxes on movie tickets and DVD sales.
Argentina produces many films a year, most don´t get commercial release. And yes, some are quite good.

The INCAA (Argentine Film Board) owns a few cinemas already, and is frequently building or buying ones outside of Buenos Aires. The INCAA is independent of the government, it is funded by taxes on movie tickets and DVD sales.
Argentina produces many films a year, most don´t get commercial release. And yes, some are quite good.

Last time I went to an icana theater I watched a 3 hr movie and a good 2:45 was watching people ride horses from one scene to the next. People in the theater actually started to laugh when ever the people started mounting their horses

Last time I went to an icana theater I watched a 3 hr movie and a good 2:45 was watching people ride horses from one scene to the next. People in the theater actually started to laugh when ever the people started mounting their horses
Try "Tesis de un homicidio" if it is still playing--there are some good films out there.
I go see a lot of hollywood films in theaters, and in the past two years I haven´t seen anything very good--most US TV series are much better.
I have to admit my bais: I work as a filmmaker and get funding for my films from INCAA and plan on showing my films in INCAA theaters.
I also have a blog about Agentine cinema in English:
http://FilmingInArgentina.wordpress.com

I think that between 2002-2008 a lot of films were made in Argentina that were geared towards festivals and nitch audiences. A few of these films were brilliant, but the "nuevo cine argentino" alientated a lot of audiences because they were films in which "nothing happened", nice photography but no action, drama or conflict. Since 2009 there has been a strong move back towards genre films (comedies, horror, action, police procedurals) and industrial films. Some of these films take in good box office, but a lot of people got scared off by "nuevo cine argentino".
Remember, Argentina is the only Latin American country to have won the Oscar (twice) and is a hotbed of publicity production--a lot of talent is out there, and right now the INCAA is focusing on distribution (thus building more cinemas) and exporting films. I think these changes are positive. Only Hollywood and Bollywood are self-supporting, all other film industries in the world depend on state subsidies.

Back