100Megas!!!!!

i am on fibertel.. but it is a nightmare since the big black out late last year. internet service has been worse than horrible. OK for a few weeks not OK for a few weeks and the cycle goes on and on....seems like my whole building is affected. I do not mind paying more just to have a reliable 6 M service.

There is no 100 mega in Argentina. At least at tha consumer level.

hmmm.. me thinks it don't matter much how fast a connection you get here, when the international trunk that connects AR to the world is highly congested. the only thing you'll be browsing at 100mbps is AR web sites.

hmmm.. me thinks it don't matter much how fast a connection you get here, when the international trunk that connects AR to the world is highly congested. the only thing you'll be browsing at 100mbps is AR web sites.
That's a good point.
However we have Fibertel 30 Mb in Olivos and it's been running fine since we had it installed in December.

The 100 mb would be international, well in telecentro i don't trust so much but still, almost no download or big demanding media stream happen in argentina so all connections speed are expressed in international connection, if you don't trust this you can do a simple test to check how much is your connection speed, when i download files from outside of argentina (always in other words :p ) i get a little more than the speed i pay for, i pay for a 6 mb in fibertel right now so that is equal to 6 millon bits divided on 8 bit per Byte that equal to a download speed of 750.000 Bytes/per second or what is equal to 750 KB download speed. I never get less than 820 KB when i'm downloading from internet sites in eeuu huge files, so i'm actually getting 10% extra speed than what i pay in the international connection. With this connection i can do everything i need but i'm still interested in getting the 30 mb connection jaja i download a lot so maybe is a good idea.

The 100 mb would be international, well in telecentro i don't trust so much but still, almost no download or big demanding media stream happen in argentina so all connections speed are expressed in international connection, if you don't trust this you can do a simple test to check how much is your connection speed, when i download files from outside of argentina (always in other words :p ) i get a little more than the speed i pay for, i pay for a 6 mb in fibertel right now so that is equal to 6 millon bits divided on 8 bit per Byte that equal to a download speed of 750.000 Bytes/per second or what is equal to 750 KB download speed. I never get less than 820 KB when i'm downloading from internet sites in eeuu huge files, so i'm actually getting 10% extra speed than what i pay in the international connection. With this connection i can do everything i need but i'm still interested in getting the 30 mb connection jaja i download a lot so maybe is a good idea.

hmm... sorry, no ISP can guarantee that speed internationally for consumer markets. there is a limited trunk in and out of argentina, and often seems congested.

no need to explain bits and bytes :), i've been in IT for longer than i care to admit

IMHO the online speed tests are good indicators, but they are not fully accurate as they are basic snapshots of short periods of time and speeds can vary significantly over time and for many reasons out of the user's control (routing paths, caching configs, overall net loads, etc. etc.) ... overall, what those tests have shown is that I can get _fairly_ consistent 3mbps and 6mbps download with my two connections when testing against AR servers, and every so often I can hit those peaks internationally, but in practice, and given that we stream TV from the US on a daily basis as well as download HD content regularly, I can tell you those numbers dont keep up when pulling from servers outside AR. There's just too many pieces in between. I know going from 3mbps to 6mbps, and to 30mbps shows improvement (I've seen that), but there's a point where returns aren't just that great for the premium one pays.

Just for everyone's info, I got this response when I requested Pricing Info for my area. The prices are for 3 in 1.

El servicio con 10mg tiene un costo de $279 finales, con 20mg $379 finales y con 100mg $899 finales.

hmm... sorry, no ISP can guarantee that speed internationally for consumer markets. there is a limited trunk in and out of argentina, and often seems congested.

no need to explain bits and bytes :), i've been in IT for longer than i care to admit

IMHO the online speed tests are good indicators, but they are not fully accurate as they are basic snapshots of short periods of time and speeds can vary significantly over time and for many reasons out of the user's control (routing paths, caching configs, overall net loads, etc. etc.) ... overall, what those tests have shown is that I can get _fairly_ consistent 3mbps and 6mbps download with my two connections when testing against AR servers, and every so often I can hit those peaks internationally, but in practice, and given that we stream TV from the US on a daily basis as well as download HD content regularly, I can tell you those numbers dont keep up when pulling from servers outside AR. There's just too many pieces in between. I know going from 3mbps to 6mbps, and to 30mbps shows improvement (I've seen that), but there's a point where returns aren't just that great for the premium one pays.

True they cannot guarante, but normally that is what refer the speed here as almost all the download and streaming happen outside argentina (no one buy connection to have good download rate inside the country as no one download from servers here), still i like to make measurement of my connection and at least fiber where i live offer a really stable download rate, so it is not a problem of congestion in the international broadband as that would affect everybody and i'm not affected so my conclusion is that the problem is somewhere else not in the backbone of the internet Connection of the country.

Back