18 Years Old, In 7 Months I'm On My Own

MnParaPalermo

Registered
Hi there Ba expats,

My name is Andrew and I've been in Argentina since the beginning of last January. I came down to Argentina after my father relocated with his job in Minnesota.

When he first told me that he was going to move, I had to come with; I have always dreamed of traveling. So, I attended a community college in 2014 and used the credits to graduate early from High School. Therefore instead of finishing my senior year in the states, I enrolled in a study abroad program with my state uni.

I now have spent 5 months in this country and am nearly fluent in Spanish (Habla despacio por favor
C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png
) The city always has something to offer: great parks, nightlife, beautiful sights and incredible women. Furthermore, Buenos Aires is enormous yet the lifestyle is relaxed, cheerful.

I met one girl here and have had the opportunity to talk with her family. We spend weekends in Lujan or at her brother's apartment in the provinces. Both she and the brother attend la UBA in medicine and law. They explained how the University puts responsibility directly in the hands of the students. I believe this is similar to the US however, where students must be organized and keep up with the pace of the class; nobody is there to hold your hand. Also, working and studying can be extremely dificult to balance.

I'm currently living with my father rent free and I have a weekly allowance. It sounds like the life but I feel like a leech. Before I moved here, I was working 20-30 hours a week and attending classes on the evenings after work. My parents divorced and moved away in the middle of 2014. I was living in Minnesota with my Aunt and Uncle as my mother went to Kansas and my Dad arrived in Argentina a few months before me. I am living on a tourist visa which had already expired (however 600 pesos at station Retiro should fix that). In two weeks, my semester of studying ends for 3-4 months. I will have an immense amount of time on my hands. I can use that period however I would like.

My dream is to establish a new life and career in this country. I have spent 18 years in the US, and that is long enough. There are a stunning amount of things to learn outside of the states. My friends from school ask me why I would skip "the best year of senior high" and spend it with a bunch of people I don't know. To me, they are the crazy ones. I'm learning something new everyday and pushing myself to understand the lifestyle of millions on the other side of the world. A common saying I respond with is the quote from Big Fish- "Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish will grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”

Here's the problem- My dad told me that he may only live here until 2016 and he does not want to continue paying for me

This means that I could have 7 months to
(1) Complete paperwork for a student visa
(2) Register in classes at la UBA
(3) Find a reliable source of income
(4) Rent an apartment in the capital

When I find a job, complete the paperwork and register for my classes, I am only left with one problem: living expenses. I will have a job, and that should hopefully cut the majority, but at 18 and without a degree it certainly won't be all. At that point, I could ask my parents- instead helping with USA college tuition, help with my current expenses. La UBA is nearly free, and I only need enough to survive. It shouldn't be too much with a simple lifestlye and cheap public transit.

Hi there Ba expats,

My name is Andrew and I've been in Argentina since the beginning of last January. I came down to Argentina after my father relocated with his job in Minnesota.

When he first told me that he was going to move, I had to come with; I have always dreamed of traveling. So, I attended a community college in 2014 and used the credits to graduate early from High School. Therefore instead of finishing my senior year in the states, I enrolled in a study abroad program with my state uni.

I now have spent 5 months in this country and am nearly fluent in Spanish (Habla despacio por favor
C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png
) The city always has something to offer: great parks, nightlife, beautiful sights and incredible women. Furthermore, Buenos Aires is enormous yet the lifestyle is relaxed, cheerful.

I met one girl here and have had the opportunity to talk with her family. We spend weekends in Lujan or at her brother's apartment in the provinces. Both she and the brother attend la UBA in medicine and law. They explained how the University puts responsibility directly in the hands of the students. I believe this is similar to the US however, where students must be organized and keep up with the pace of the class; nobody is there to hold your hand. Also, working and studying can be extremely dificult to balance.

I'm currently living with my father rent free and I have a weekly allowance. It sounds like the life but I feel like a leech. Before I moved here, I was working 20-30 hours a week and attending classes on the evenings after work. My parents divorced and moved away in the middle of 2014. I was living in Minnesota with my Aunt and Uncle as my mother went to Kansas and my Dad arrived in Argentina a few months before me. I am living on a tourist visa which had already expired (however 600 pesos at station Retiro should fix that). In two weeks, my semester of studying ends for 3-4 months. I will have an immense amount of time on my hands. I can use that period however I would like.

My dream is to establish a new life and career in this country. I have spent 18 years in the US, and that is long enough. There are a stunning amount of things to learn outside of the states. My friends from school ask me why I would skip "the best year of senior high" and spend it with a bunch of people I don't know. To me, they are the crazy ones. I'm learning something new everyday and pushing myself to understand the lifestyle of millions on the other side of the world. A common saying I respond with is the quote from Big Fish- "Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish will grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”

Here's the problem- My dad told me that he may only live here until 2016 and he does not want to continue paying for me

This means that I could have 7 months to
(1) Complete paperwork for a student visa
(2) Register in classes at la UBA
(3) Find a reliable source of income
(4) Rent an apartment in the capital

When I find a job, complete the paperwork and register for my classes, I am only left with one problem: living expenses. I will have a job, and that should hopefully cut the majority, but at 18 and without a degree it certainly won't be all. At that point, I could present my case to my parents- instead helping with 1/2 my USA college tuition, to help with my current expenses. La UBA is nearly free, and I only need enough to survive, it won’t be much.

I love this country and only hope for my journey to continue. Life could be challenging in the next few months, but to me, that is only part of the experience. Weather I am rich or poor, in a penthouse or the poorhouse, I am going to put my best effort to persevere. If there is a way, I have the will.

In conclusion, today marks the start of my planning to stay in this country. If any member here has done something similar, knows anyone or has any guides on the process, please let me know. If there is anyone else in my situation, let me know too. Two minds are greater than one, and we can help each other through the process.

Thanks for reading everybody, I’ll keep you updated! :D

-Andrew

I say go for it. When you graduate, you won't have any monster student loans nagging you for life. Many of your peers in the US will have $50k-100k student debt. And if you want to bail from Argentina, you always have that option too.

To do undergrad at la UBA, I've read (on this forum) that you have to graduate from high school here, or do the equivalent. I don't know the details - use the search, look for "UBA undergraduate", etc.

The big issue is here for you at 18 is finding a steady stream of income. You will have a hard time in Argentina getting any kind of job at 18. If you can find something online that is in the USA, then your dream is more realistic. Keep in mind that you will also need to take in Spanish some courses in Argentina that are kind of a leveling of your high school degree (yes, crazily enough they won't accept a high school degree from the USA). These courses are in Spanish and would include some Argentine history and Spanish. Only then would you be able to study.

Hey Andrew,

I graduated from NCSU before coming down here about a year ago. Frankly, you sound like me a couple years back, so if that's correct I think what I'm about to tell you is exactly what you most likely don't want to hear (because it was exactly what I didn't want to hear):

Go back to the US, get a degree there, then come back here. That's what I would do now. I think it would open more doors for you (then again, I'm no expert).

The whole impatient part of me wanted to come down here and study and then stay, but I waited it out, graduated, and found a job that brought me here. Looking back, I'm glad I did it that way.

If this is not an option for you, UBA is a good school and kudos to you for sticking it out. It's a great place to be. And you can always go back.

It's all experience, man. Live it up.

Hey Andrew,

I graduated from NCSU before coming down here about a year ago. Frankly, you sound like me a couple years back, so if that's correct I think what I'm about to tell you is exactly what you most likely don't want to hear (because it was exactly what I didn't want to hear):

Go back to the US, get a degree there, then come back here. That's what I would do now. I think it would open more doors for you (then again, I'm no expert).

The whole impatient part of me wanted to come down here and study and then stay, but I waited it out, graduated, and found a job that brought me here. Looking back, I'm glad I did it that way.

If this is not an option for you, UBA is a good school and kudos to you for sticking it out. It's a great place to be. And you can always go back.

It's all experience, man. Live it up.
You are right. "It's an Experience" . The best experiences are most often the result of a good plan. Make a plan and also have an exit plan in the back pocket...just in case.

If your high school diploma is from the US, it is very unlikely that you will be able to register in UBA within 7 months. You will have to pass high school equivalency exams in order to enter UBA. There are multiple threads that outline the process.

Also, it's pretty common for people to work while studying in Argentina. Everyone I know who went to UBA worked the entire time. That's one reason why it takes 7-8 years to finish a degree.

Does anyone know the total student population of UBA?

Also, it's pretty common for people to work while studying in Argentina. Everyone I know who went to UBA worked the entire time. That's one reason why it takes 7-8 years to finish a degree.

And this doesn't affect your chance of finding a good job? In Italy it's all about finishing "on time" and even better if with higher grades. Usually people working during their academic years are not working in a related field, so any extra year toward your degree is a less year in relevant experience.
I was always asked what year did I enroll and what year I did graduated, often it is even asked on careers portal with a detail up to the very day!
That said, in Italy students rarely work to maintain themselves, but studying is fairly cheaper as compared to the US and nobody graduates with a loan to be paid off.

And this doesn't affect your chance of finding a good job? In Italy it's all about finishing "on time" and even better if with higher grades. Usually people working during their academic years are not working in a related field, so any extra year toward your degree is a less year in relevant experience.
I was always asked what year did I enroll and what year I did graduated, often it is even asked on careers portal with a detail up to the very day!
That said, in Italy students rarely work to maintain themselves, but studying is fairly cheaper as compared to the US and nobody graduates with a loan to be paid off.

There is no "on time"at UBA, just "more time"or "less time."

I would say that in Argentina, it would hurt your career if you finish your degree and DON'T have work experience. For example, most of the programmers I worked with 3-4 years experience by the time they finished their degrees. The ones that didn't were from private universities like Austral and finished as quickly as possible so they didn't have to keep paying.

Back